Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to use in shower?

Options
  • 02-03-2006 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Was looking for a forum to post this in, reckon this is a good as any!

I have a lot of showers during the week, average maybe 20. I use shower gel in the shower, which at this stage I know is just glorified fairy liquid. Not exactly good for my skin, or our dear friend mother earth.

Any recommendations as what to use as an alternative? Something that's kind to both me and planet?

P.S. I'm not showering that much out of an OCD thing or anything, I cycle/gym/football train after all of which I shower.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

don't all rush in at once now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Try a health food store or maybe an organic shop, or just rinse off with water?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Like CJhaughey suggests, check out health food shops for shower gels and the like from the various ranges that are organic/petrochemical free/etc.

Or, you could get a water tight soap container/tray (to take it to the gym, etc) and use that instead? There's lots of places that sell locally made soaps (saving on 'soap' miles), and bars of soap use much less packaging than plastic bottles of shower gel. Soap is also lighter than shower gel, which means it needs less energy to be transported.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DSLC

I think you can get 'environmentally-friendly' soaps in places like Cultivate in Temple Bar, and at the Dublin Food Co-Op - probably in Health Food Stores as well, as one of the other posters suggested. That's what I use anyway. cuckoo's suggestion of a soap container sounds like a good idea as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭judesherry

I use a lot of stuff from here, they are all hand made in the south of England so doesn’t have to travel far. its mostly from natural fresh ingredients . It’s just beside college green on the way to Grafton Street. They tell you what ingredients are fresh what’s organic and what’s processed. Have a look at the website www.lush.com. They also don’t use plastic packaging on most of their products. I could go on forever about this place so if you want more info just ask.

Just what ever you do don’t ever ever go to the body shop they are a pack of lying bastards. I did a thesis on their green washing in college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

If Wicklow is convenient http://www.meitheal.net/shop/ might be useful, they buy in bulk as you order so prices can be substantially cheaper than eco-shops. I use ecover shower gel (for hair & bod). They've good bog roll too free from dioxins and organochlorines.
    In addition a vast range of foods, nuts, dried fruits, herbs, spices etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

judesherry wrote:
    Just what ever you do don’t ever ever go to the body shop they are a pack of lying bastards. I did a thesis on their green washing in college.

I think the Body Shop's recent takeover by L'Oreal has destroyed any credibility it might have had. I've just been in Lush and the array of gorgeous unguents, sweet-smelling ointments and colourful soaps is a feast for the senses. Most of the stuff seems a little too fancy for someone taking regular showers though, and might work out quite expensive as a result. Well worth checking out all the same.

Advertisement