Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with WinXP Home install on Toshiba Satellite 5000

Options
  • 02-03-2006 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

My Laptop's DVD/CD drive ceased functioning when I was trying to install Win XP home (OEM edition) from 2 cds - one cd installed but the cd drive wouldn't recognise the second one so this totally f-ed up the installation

Just got a new DVD/CD drive installed in my laptop (cost me a fair whack as well) - however I still cannot get past the Toshiba screen going into

Insert system disk in drive
    press any key when ready

I've tried boot from the cd drive and from this in the usb floppy drive

http://www.bootdisk.com/txtfiles/xpquick.txt

but whatever I try I'm not getting anywhere

The HD should be working ok - the HD indicator lights up anyway so must be ok?

If I see the Toshiba logo the BIOS must be there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Enter the BIOS (usually by pressing F2 or Del key) and see if your new DVD drive is listed. If it's not that's your prob.

You might also need to set the boot up order so that the laptop will boot from the Windows CD first rather than the HD. Again this is done in the BIOS. (Look for Boot page/screen).

Since when did Windows come on 2 CDs anyway? :confused: First I've heard of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

irlrobins wrote:
    Enter the BIOS (usually by pressing F2 or Del key) and see if your new DVD drive is listed. If it's not that's your prob.

You might also need to set the boot up order so that the laptop will boot from the Windows CD first rather than the HD. Again this is done in the BIOS. (Look for Boot page/screen).

Cannot do anything like that - according to the Toshiba website you can only configure that via the control panel (Satellite 5000-104) - all you can do is hold down Esc when booting and then you get "Press F1 for default settings" you press F1 and you are right back where you started
    irlrobins wrote:
    Since when did Windows come on 2 CDs anyway? :confused: First I've heard of that.

It's the OEM OS as provided by Toshiba - labelled "Product Recovery CD-ROM"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I just rang the good people in Business Management Systems - http://www.bms.ie and thet told me to hold down the F12 key while booting.

This brings up a set of icons giving you the option of booting from HD, CD, Floppy etc and that seems to be working now - it's installing from the CD! Just as I was thinking that I was left with a very expensive paperweight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Coolio

Advertisement