Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding money in old houses

Options
  • 01-03-2006 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Well anyone ever discover anything valuable when gutting old houses, was restoring sash windows in town a few weeks ago and a few passerbys were asking. Then the other day gutting a house was taking down the old lath and plaster ceiling and a package fell down thought I'd hit the jackpot, it was as close as I've got there was a bundle of envelopes some had cheques made out for 1 old punt, loads of others had postal orders for one old punt and then the rest all had a note inside saying they enclosed one pound note (already missing), obviously someone who had lived in the house had taken the money and left hidden thme there.
    So to explain what happened, whoever had lived in the house (now deceased, executors sale) had worked for a certain organisation, this place had been running a promotion in 1984 (dates on letters) and the offer was some kind of book for one pound, they obviously robbed a load of people who had sent in for the offer, took the cash out of the ones containing it, and the cheques and p/o s were useless as they were made payable to the organisation.

Anyway, anyone ever found any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

One of the friends found two 5 gallon drums of poitin demolising a chimney No money though

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

I heard of a thatcher down in Carlow who found a small box of what appeared to be very valuable old jewellery buried in the thatch. The family that owned the house were notorious for their squabbling and bickering so he replaced it and thatched over it as he reckoned it would just cause them trouble!

I once found what I thought was a huge diamond( it scored glass) in an old hotel I was renovating but it turned out to be high grade cubic zirconium.Bummer.

Advertisement