Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tracing laptop

Options
  • 01-03-2006 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

hey

A few days ago my laptop was stolen from my house. It was set up to my router and they have been connecting to the laptop on and off since the network is filtered by mac address at first i seen them connecting and blocked the mac address but then i let them back on. then took out another of my laptops on the network to see how far the signal went for it went for about 100 meters so its feckin close then i connected an annenta to the laptop and tried pinpoint the house it was in but they cut off the network so i could'nt trace them. Does any one have any other ideas of how to trace these ****ing ***** to an exact house i'm thinking that if i ring up some isps with the mac addresses that when they connect to another line say eircom that eircom can pick up the mac address and send back the address but that most likly won't work any ideas people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭deimos

Right, and you have not contacted the police?
    You have decided to do it the Jack Bauer way.

I smell a waffle, no seriously, I am in the kitchen cooking waffles...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The are connecting to a wireless AP ?

You'd need a directional antenna or better still several people with them to tirangulate the signal. Be careful as you can get strong side lobes at 60 degrees that might send you off in the wrong way. netstumbler will give you the signal strength.

Best to ring the Guards I'm sure they would like a nice easy sting to get the stats up, don't they have a technical section ?

Also if you use netstumbler then they could possibly see you too.
    kismet ( linux ) is better at hiding whilst scanning.

If they use dial up then MAC addreses aren't used.
    If they use cable/ADSL then the MAC address would almost certainly be the modems.
    If they use dial up then it's a fake MAC used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭mfitz

I contacted the police half an hour after it was stolen and said to them that they were connecting to the network and that they were close by but they said send they cud'nt do anything i did use the directonal antea on linix but they stopped using the network so i cud'nt realy do that lol i've pretty much givin up on it now cheers for the replys :p

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭happydude13

Is it not more likely that someone has simply
    cloned there MAC address to permit access to your AP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Best to ring the Guards I'm sure they would like a nice easy sting to get the stats up, don't they have a technical section ?

=> Moved to Humour :D

(I smell waffles too! I must triangulate the origin of the smell and locate deimos)

• Advertisement
Advertisement