Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Society Advice Needed.

Options
  • 01-03-2006 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭

I'm running the golf society in my college this year, I wanted to get involved as the couple of outings that were arranged last year were a sham

e.g. A turnout of 5........2 of which on a bus which took 200 euro out of the society fund, the other 3 left after 5 holes and I was left stuck with Mr. cheat!

Real disorganisation so I got on to the fella running the golf team (who is actually in charge of the society but 99% of his time is taken up by the inter-varsity team) in the college and it turned out there was no one running the society last yr (no surprise). He was delighted that I wanted to help and I have had alot of experience playing in societies. So basiclly since the start of the year there has been a couple of outings of about 10 ppl and a very successful run of golf lessons.

This is the main problem......the golf is for nothing as its subsidised, no more then 10euro wherever we play including transport to places like glasson, esker hills, portumna so good courses but ppl are still reluctant to come out. In a college of about 5000 students you'd imagine you could find at least 30 golfers! So anyone know of anything I can do to encourage ppl abit more other then offer impossibly cheap golf and free transport!!!!!! I have the college plastered with posters and point out the fact that its beginner friendly and more emphisis on fun rather then competitiveness.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Well firstly your main problem is people having clubs actually at the college.. I know personally I never had my clubs with me when I was in college!!! I practically gave up golf for a few years except for during the summer..

But as with all college functions, free beer will work wonders!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

css wrote:
    Well firstly your main problem is people having clubs actually at the college.. I know personally I never had my clubs with me when I was in college!!! I practically gave up golf for a few years except for during the summer..

But as with all college functions, free beer will work wonders!!

Hmmm it is a prob alright, I try to give enough notice so ppl can arrange to get their clubs up but I know some cant and some arnt arsed!

Beer is a no no, the college has a zero tolerance policy for any offical activity endorsing the consumption of alcohol, so buyin rounds of beer with the society fund would not bode well. The next outing is in two weeks and I already have 15. I think the mild weather is a help. If its raining on the morning I'd say I will be on my todd!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

hey there maybe can help.

I am a co founder and help run the National Colelge of Ireland (NCI) college golf team. We are more a golf team, not a society though. At the moment we are more focused on getting the squad setup.

Our first match was out against AShbourne. And simply it was a case of make your own way. It worked out grand like with everyone turning up, and our transport money went to beers =P

Though i ran into my own problems this year, the inter varisty comp in Galway was gna cost us 2000 euro, we had a budget of 500 euro =( so we had to cancel the trip, I was gutted.

You should first get your posters up, set a date for enrollment or someting. Then arrange a meeting for everyone in the soc and get a kinda vote of commitment.

Advertisement