Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer - ATTROCIOUS support

Options
  • 01-03-2006 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Well I raved when I got an Acer Travelmate (4502WLMi) laptop a while back so I think it's only fair I rant about the bad side.

The audio hardware failed (I'd done all the tests and OEM system restore didn't work either), so I called Acer support. They gave me a number for their authorised repair centre up North. I called them and they said they'd arrange a courier to collect it from me. "Great", I thought. Fast forward two weeks and 15 phonecalls and the courier has not shown. I call the courier who told me they had no such reference, to call the Dublin office who told me the same thing and bounced me back to the NI office. I was told I would need to re-arrange collection through the repair company as they had no record of such a collection.

Lo and behold two weeks to the hour after I first called Acer, a courier arrives - the same day that they told me there was no record of such a collection. I tell him to forget it - what were the chances I'd get my laptop back, let alone quickly given how long it took him for a two-hour drive.

I bring the laptop back to the shop who assure me they use a different repair company. Three weeks after I brought it in, it's still "waiting parts", with no sign of any progress whatsoever.

To add more insult, I bought one of those extended warranties that claims to have repairs carried out within 5 working days (*subject to the availability of parts). It's been 5 WEEKS now.

So, get an Acer if you like the way they look.
    DON'T get an Acer if there's any chance you think it might need repairing and
    ABSOLUTELY DO NOT bother with the extended warranty - it means sweet nothing.

It is what it's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Where did you get the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Bought it in Beyond 2000.

Only got it back from them on Wednesday - 4 weeks to the day that I left it in, 6 WEEKS after I initially logged a call with Acer.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i know 2 lads that work there, ill pass on your views! by the way, what companies have decent support in ireland? would be interesting to see what people think of it in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yep Acer support is crap. No number to ring in Ireland and if you mail them you don't get a reference number so there is no case history. Mailed them a couple of times about a wireless card and their response mails had nothing to do with my problem!

I've always found Dell support very good and efficent. All my problems solved with one call, replacement parts with me within 2 days and a further call back to confirm that the parts were recieved and working ok.

And they are one of the few places that understand that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to computers and don't get me to go through a list of things to try. They listen to the steps I've undertaken to solve problem and then agree to send parts out straight away. No messing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Acer grew very quickly, and their tech support has less than kept up in the UK & Ireland. Keep at them is the only way to get what you need done...

• Advertisement
Advertisement