Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Michael Neary

Options
  • 01-03-2006 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Dr Michael Neary.... why the hell is this animal not behind bars. Good job he didn't treat anyone I know that's all I can say.

Sickening!

Further sign that this government is failing. Men like this and CJ walk the streets after hurting so many peoples lives and familys. It's not reports we need its action.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

While I agree with your sentiments, to a certain extent, this discussion has SFA to do with news/media.

Move to Humanities I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Hobart wrote:
    While I agree with your sentiments, to a certain extent, this discussion has SFA to do with news/media.

Move to Humanities I say.

I thought things in the news go in news/media

www.rte.ie/news
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/
    www.ireland.com

Top story in them all, need I go on?

dbnavan wrote:
    I thought things in the news go in news/media

www.rte.ie/news
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/
    www.ireland.com

Top story in them all, need I go on?
    So it's ok to start a thread about Liverpool's defeat in the recent CL game here then, is it? I'm not stating what should and should not be posted, just where a thread might be more suited. Post where you want.

Hobart wrote:
    So it's ok to start a thread about Liverpool's defeat in the recent CL game here then, is it? I'm not stating what should and should not be posted, just where a thread might be more suited. Post where you want.
    No because Liverpool's defeat in the recent CL game is specifically sports and there is a soccer forum, there is no "Doctor's who wreck peoples lives and get away with it" forum :rolleyes:

dbnavan wrote:
    No because Liverpool's defeat in the recent CL game is specifically sports and there is a soccer forum, there is no "Doctor's who wreck peoples lives and get away with it" forum :rolleyes:
    It's still news, and by your definition, still worthy of it's place here. Look I really couldn't give a fook if you tatooed the opening post on to your forehead, scanned it into a jpg format and posted it on an art appreciation forum. I was making a suggestion, take it or leave it.

• Advertisement

Hobart wrote:
    It's still news, and by your definition, still worthy of it's place here. Look I really couldn't give a fook if you tatooed the opening post on to your forehead, scanned it into a jpg format and posted it on an art appreciation forum. I was making a suggestion, take it or leave it.

what a gentleman you are, now back to the topic......Anyone got something constructive to say on the OT.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

While this forum is for the discussion of News, if there is a more suitable forum available it will be moved to it;
    for example it may be fair to discuss the Dublin riots here as they are news, but once the topic begins to discuss the issue from the perspective of the wider effect it will have on the Northern Peace Process it is moving into Politics territory; if it stays on the violence itself and the media coverage of it then this is the forum of choice.

In this case I feel that Humanities is the best forum for this discussion; if there are people who wish to discuss the issue from a suitable perspective (post a thread detailing a new news report on the case or discuss the media coverage of the event) feel free to start a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Dr neary should be done with criminal assault and obtaining property by deception. why hes walking around i dont know? perhaps someone should ring the dpp up and ask them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Dr.Neary is a disgrace and to remove a very defining body part from a woman without informing the patient until 6 weeks later is terrible. Dr.Neary said she should be thankful that he removed her womb as it was doing her a favour. The woman I speak about was prepared to have five children in life but Dr.Neary removed her womb without request after the second. This is only one case of 130 and the man should be sent far away from the medical table.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

dbnavan wrote:
    Further sign that this government is failing. Men like this and CJ walk the streets after hurting so many peoples lives and familys. It's not reports we need its action.

His crimes took place under the other governments as well. How does CJ compare to this?

• Advertisement

His crimes took place under the other governments as well. How does CJ compare to this?
    His crimes where not brought to light until this current government, so thats a non starter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

If anything this case has highlighted the growing trend of failure of professional bodies (and not simply medical) to regulate their professions, and in some cases will close ranks rather than deal with such improprieties.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Interestingly he still says he did nothing wrong. Is this a case of an old fashioned doctor refusing or being unable to update his skills?

The removals he carried out were awful acts which destroyed lives but for me the real issue is that people knew what was going on but did nothing or were unable to do anything. That is the real crime for me. An incompetent doctor can be disbarred or retrained. This can only happen if it is brought to light.

For me getting rid of this environment where the consultant is beyond question is more important that prosecuting one doctor. How many other Nearys is the system hiding?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

Some programme last night had a friend of Mr Neary's on saying he still believed what he did was right..if so, why are about 40 files missing. Perhaps he did not remove them but it must have been someone with a knowledge of the damning evidence inside. Apparently the GUardai are going to investigate this (the missing patient files.)

That a cover-up could go on for so long is scary...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

That 'friend' of Dr. Neary was also under investigation for the missing files, her house was searched by the gardai.

dbnavan wrote:
    His crimes where not brought to light until this current government, so thats a non starter

You still haven't explained what it has to do with CJ or what you think they legally could have done.

dbnavan wrote:
    Dr Michael Neary.... why the hell is this animal not behind bars. Good job he didn't treat anyone I know that's all I can say.
    Sickening!
    There is no need for words like animal. The report made quite clear that there was no mental illness involved, he merely was badly trained.

There is no need for words like animal. The report made quite clear that there was no mental illness involved, he merely was badly trained.
    It doesnt take training to know you should tell a patient you have removed part of her body. I feel the need to use what ever words I feel fit, you would to if you had a wife and children.

He is an animal IMO, and thats an opinion I am entitled to have.

Have you read the report? Because in my view, that's not what it says at all. Judge Harding-Clarke is quite subtle in much of it, and there are many things in it which imply it was much more than that. I can quote you some if you wish.

beanyb wrote:
    Have you read the report? Because in my view, that's not what it says at all. Judge Harding-Clarke is quite subtle in much of it, and there are many things in it which imply it was much more than that. I can quote you some if you wish.
    It said that he had a thing about haemrogging (SUCH a bad spelling) and used the last resort first, but I thought (from my admittadly brief perusal) that it said he wasn't unbalenced etc.

• Advertisement

Nobody can say exactly why he did it, and the judge didnt really try. She just gave some suggestions. I personally dont buy the fear of blood thing, and I know that his victims dont either.

There's a part in the report that almost indicates that he tried to create opportunities to do hysterectomies. Some midwives and anaesthethists said that he was constantly poking at any blood loss, looking as though he was trying to stop it and was always slow to sew back up. They just took it as him being thorough. Then a couple of paragraphs later, she indicated that prodding at the areas of blood loss may in fact cause the area to bleed more heavily. See what I mean by her subtlety? She doesnt come out and say that he tried to cause bleeding on purpose, but it's between the lines.

I should probably point out that my mother is the founder of Patient Focus, the group that supports the women, so I'm kinda biased! This whole thing has been a pretty major part of my life for like 7 or 8 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement