Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this baby overclock?

Options
  • 28-02-2006 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Already posted this in the graphics board.Just wanted to be sure I don't mess up.I will need to be able to overclock.I play Fear and doom3 etc so I will need grunt. Can anybody see a bottleneck in this system?I had to cut a few corners to stay on my 1700 euro budget.
    Going to order the Komplett Gamer this system comes prebuilt and tested with a 3 year warranty.Im limited in the hardware i can choose on the prebuit system but want the 3 year warranty.

Tagan 2force 480W, Dual Fan,
    Corsair Value S. PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024M
    Point of View GeForce 7800GTX 256MB DDR3
    Cooler Master Wave Master Silver
    Samsung 17" LCD Syncmaster 730BF TCO-99
    Asus A8N-E, nForce4 Ultra, Socket-939,
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz Socket 939,
    Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB SATA2

Tanx Guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Id say your warrenty will be void if you overclock

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

I won't need to overclock it now.It will b when in 2 years when its out of date.When the warrenty is nearly over I will want to crank it up.Just trying not repeat the mistakes from a previous system.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Don not get get value select ram with a 7800gtx:eek: :eek:

That ram does not overclock and has poor timing and will be a big bottleneck

Get crucial ballistic, its the best performance for the price, and that tagan is a bit on the weak side,

Whats wrong with the original system i specced for you??

Its cheaper than that one and costs less;)

And you're 3 year warranty will be gone when you overclock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

conzymaher wrote:
    Its cheaper than that one and costs less;)
    :rolleyes: makes sence:D

Iv Ordered the following with gls postage did I forget anything?1640 inc delivery.
    :D
    309484 AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz Socket 939,
    - 1MB, BOXED w/fan

305190 Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, nForce4 SLI, Socket
    - -939,S-ATA,Dual-GbLAN,Firewire,PCI-Ex16
    -
    309573 Crucial PC3200 BallistiX DDR 1024MB CL2
    - Kit w/two matched,2.8V,64Meg x 64,184pin

316373 Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB SATA2
    - 16MB 7200RPM
    -
    315784 POINT OF VIEW GeForce 7800GT 256MB,
    - PCI-Express, VIVO, DVI, Retail

311653 Tagan Easycon 580W, Modular Cables, 120m
    - Fan, 4xSATA, ATX/EPS, SLI, 20/24pin

121276 Cooler Master Wave Master Silver
    - Aluminium (Without PSU)

318071 BenQ 17" LCD FP71GX Monitor, DVI,
    - 8ms (4ms GTG), 500:1, Silver/Black

313486 Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2
    - Software English OEM

317429 Antistatic Wrist band Blue
    - including ground cord

314390 AKASA Silver Based Thermal Compound 5g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

in my opinion it was a mistake to buy the 3700, for an extra €90 you could have got the X2 3800

Look like you have everything, even a anti static band:D :D

All the neccesary cables will come with the motherboard, i dont know what the thermal paste is like, is the most popular, but that will perform similarly seen as its also silver based......

Great system, good luck;)

@Jessy, he is not overclocking anytime soon so the X2 3800 would be considerably slower and only has 512kb cache per core.

He can upgrade to dual-core in a few years when its neccesary;)

Thanks 4 the help conzy will post up how the build goes.With a bit of luck it should arrive next week.

np;)

You might get it Friday afternoon if you are lucky, did you check if everything was in stock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

have a quick read of some other opions,
    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/55634/

with that Gfx card i would imagine that he wants to play some of the newest games, and a lot of these new games take advantage of dual core. also i think that most people have found this at some stage, but if your running AV on your machine then it can kill the preformance somewhat, imagine one of the two cores decicated to just AV, that alone would improve preformance somewhat. for the extra few quid i would have def went with dual core, M$ vista will also take advantage of it (and it will be out shortly)! for the tiny bit extra preformance that you would get out of the 3700 in some game it would not compare to the preformance in most/all of the newer games from now on. clock speed will prob not increase that much from now on, chip manufactures will just keep adding cores so game companys will def go down this route from now on!

You are thinking to far ahead...........

A 2.2ghz 3700 with 1mb L2 cache will do better in games than 1 @ 1.8ghz with 512kb cache

Vista is a long way off, and everyone will stick with XP for a good while

look at this post in theat thread you linked too
    Unless you can actually take advantage of it, x2 is useless marketing hype. Very few games run faster on an x2, no one writes for the parallelism and threading they provide. Also, (although AMD is better than intel in this reguard) you have memory contention issues between the cores.

So, if you can use it, x2 is great, I have one.

So, if your just flat out gaming, 3700+ is sweet,

Its true, if you dont use the few programs that truely take advantage of dual core CPUs like photoshop a fast singlecore processer is better;)

Advertisement