Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway based musicians / composers?

• 28-02-2006 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Just wondering how if there's a Galway based contingent on this board, mainly as I'm getting involved in Project '06 / Togra '06 and we're trying to set up a contemporary classical event amongst others. Basically I'm hoping that there are a few composers around galway who would submit a work or two which would be workshopped by Concorde / ConTempo, perhaps as a part of the music summer school, and then have a recital during the course of Project 06 of those works.

If there is sufficient interest, then there's the possiblilty of setting up a Galway branch of the Young Composers Collective

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jamieev

Do you have to be from Galway? What about if you're from Dublin, say?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ebby

jamieev wrote:
    Do you have to be from Galway? What about if you're from Dublin, say?

I guess it'd be ok.. We're trying to have the focus primarily on Galway/West-based composers, as one of the focuses of Project '06 is to show the wealth of artistic and creative talent in the west of ireland that is unmined and ignored by the Galway Arts Festival

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Well, I'm from Sligo. Is that any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ebby

Well, I'm from Sligo. Is that any good?

Perfect!

I just got an email from Jane this morning: I think she's a bit worried that we won't get many composers from Galway / the West, so she'd like it to be open to all 'young' composers, regardless of where they are from.
    Hi Eamonn,

I was away most of last week, so just catching up on things now.
    Good to see you're not wasting any time getting things moving! I had
    thought if we opened it to all 'young' composers? Not just those in the
    West....may not have enough at this stage if we confine it in that way. Let
    me know what sort of interest you get and what kind of composers you hear from? We can talk then about what is the most valuable way to move ahead. I have a feeling a lot of people would like to submit something for string quartet....but I'm happy to make Concorde available too. This would be flute, violin, cello, accordion, soprano, maybe piano.

Hope you're coming to the National Symphony Orchestra concert on Tuesday in Leisureland! Tell everybody else about it!

Jane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Cool. No promises yet, though, as I don't even know what country I'll be in this Summer...

• Advertisement
Advertisement