Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion based on real facts?

Options
  • 28-02-2006 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

Hey moderators,

I was wondering are we allowed to pose legal questions based on real facts? I know asking for legal advice is not allowed but what if the person did not want to take a case to court and just decided to clarify a grey position of the law?

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yeah, I don't see a problem with that. Once it's not a "what should I do?" scenario then it should be ok. Remember the only reason why legal advice is not allowed to be sought is because of the potential for negligent misstatement, but discussion of the legal implications of an actual real-life scenario should be ok once the discussion remains academic.

I know the distinction might be hard to grasp, but hopefully it will become more clear as time goes on and people see the types of things that are acceptable.

The only thing that would worry me is if people rely on the opinion to their detriment, not becuase boards could be liable (it wouldn't), but because it wouldn't be a great position for the person who relied on the opinion to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think people should be able to come here, just like on PI or Gardening / DIY or Laptops and air their problem and get pointers, not advice.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Victor wrote:
    I think people should be able to come here, just like on PI or Gardening / DIY or Laptops and air their problem and get pointers, not advice.
    I fully agree. In fact, I'd love that to happen. The trouble is that people may rely on the pointers they get as actual legal advice, and that could mean trouble. It would be ok if everyone read the charter, but as you well know, forum charters are often ignored, and this one is no exception!

Advertisement