Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell 630m any thoughts?

Options
  • 28-02-2006 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a Dell 630m? Any comments about them? In particular the extended battery. Was thinking of one to replace my Desktop Replacement which has no meaningfull battery life and even around the home it makes it pain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

That's the lardy silver inspiron isn't it? The internal wireless isn't much use if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Fabritzo wrote:
    That's the lardy silver inspiron isn't it? The internal wireless isn't much use if I remember correctly.

Could you translate that for me?

I thought it was smaller than the 6000, with better battery life and 14" 1200x800 screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Oh yeh, they look very similar, and I just checked, they have the same Intel® Pro/Wireless 2200 (802.11b/g) network connection. I just had a little trouble with a few of them. They're a bit ulgy in my opinion, nothing special. I prefer the current range of hp laptops myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I second the ugliness of Dell laptops.. have you considered an Acer laptop?, I do believe this thread in the same forum as this one is discussing the merits of them, I would be of the opinion that Acer equipment is fantastic and far superior to the Lego company stylings of Dell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jack_christie

Dell 6000 and 9000 maybe a bit clunky, but the trackpad is one of the best, with fast vert & horz scroll.

Intel wireless is the best.

HP mobo can be flaky.

Also watch out for the new Centrino 3's.

Thats my 2c

JC

• Advertisement

I've very little experience of Acer, but I'd seen Dells last a long time in the companies I've worked in. But if you've suggestions on particular models that would be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jack_christie

If battery life is a priority, then wait a month or so for the Centrino 3/Duo. Its supposed to be 30% better battery life. Also Dell have said that they will build laptops with sim card slots built in. For desktop replacement the Dell 9000 would be good or for something more portable the 6000.

Even if you wait and don't buy a Centrino 3, it has to push the price of Centrino 2's down at some stage.

JC

If battery life is a priority, then wait a month or so for the Centrino 3/Duo. Its supposed to be 30% better battery life. Also Dell have said that they will build laptops with sim card slots built in. For desktop replacement the Dell 9000 would be good or for something more portable the 6000.

Even if you wait and don't buy a Centrino 3, it has to push the price of Centrino 2's down at some stage.

JC

Ok thats good advice cheers. I'm not in a rush. I guess I'll try source some cheap batteries on ebay for my current lappy.

Advertisement