Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SurfacePower company - any dealings with them?

Options
  • 27-02-2006 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anybody had any experiences with a company called Surface Power in Mayo. They sell Wind turbines and also have just launced a new hot water system using solar panels and wind turbines. It looks very interesting and it could be a good system to install.

Regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

you mat want to have a read on the thread within this section called Affordable wind turbines ...as this company is mentioned there quite a bit ...also search for a user called xonencentral as he has used this company and will have some experience of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RedLady

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I started to read that thread but its so long and I was so tired ...I just gave up. I will have another look.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

i know what you mean ... but its well worth the read ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

On that note is there an easy way to print the whole thread?
    As opposed to doing it Page 1 print ,Page 2 print etc.

C.

Hi C,

From what I can recall on the thread, you were thinking of going down the same route that I am - i.e. using solar for same of your space heating. Have you done anything further with this? Have you seen SurfacePowers new Hotwater and UFH system? It looks impressive but there is just something about the company that doesnt inspire confidense in me.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Hi Redlady,

I've found them to be very helpful when contacting them about any proposed stuff we were thinking of buying and xonencentral has reported them as being nothing but helpful in all his dealings as well.
    The only concern i'd have when buying off them is how good is their equipment. I've no reason to suspect it's anything other than good i just need to look into it more and see how longlife/reliable it is.

I do like their ufh/hotwater system and would consider it. I just need to compare the price(10k is a lot to fork out). I need to double check but i don't think they supply the underfloor heating pipes themselves and i've no idea how much they cost on their own.
    I'd like that system with a woodburning stove for backup and the generator as further backup.(I'm seeing a figure with lots of zeros at the end of my wish list:) ).

I'm still looking at their Solar/Wind option for 10k with a backup generator which looks pretty good.
    Though Air has provided enough facts and figures on the smaller turbines to give me some doubts on how much electricity they'll actually generate so i'd like to price up a bigger wind turbine out of interest. I think they supply one i just haven't got around to pricing it up as we haven't signed for our house yet(though it's close so i'll have to get working).

Would you be looking to go off grid or to reduce your electricity cost?

So 22.5k(The generator is 2500) would give us a lot of our heating and electrical requirements and we'd hopefully be off grid.
    I don't know if the wife will approve of the 7 sqm of solar tubes plus 6 solar panels sitting on our roof. They'd have to go on the front of the house which faces due south. So i'll need some persuasive arguments in favour of it.

Anyone think this is reasonable return?
    Or have better ideas of how to go off grid?

Regards,

C.

Hi,

I am not going with a backup generator as this would be way out of my budget but I might consider the wind generator add-on for the Hotwater solution - this would connect to the immersion in the tanks.
    There isn't a whole lot of information yet on what type/make of solar panels they are going to use or the exact spec of the tanks they use - this is something that most companies have readily available. So like you I am just concerned to the reliability of the equipment.
    I am waiting for 2 other quotes back - I live in the Munster area so I am trying to see if I get get this system locally.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Redlady
    Solaris is a Munster based supplier of solar systems.
    they are in Macroom co Cork.

Hi CJ,

Yes, they are one of the companies that I am waiting for a quote back from. Also, Wind Water Solar in Kerry. Hopefully I will get something soon and I'll post what I got.

Cheers,

Advertisement