Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Driver

Options
  • 27-02-2006 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

I'm hoping to change my driver in the next week or two.
    I'm thinking Ping G5 or Nike SQ.

Instead of buying off the shelf, or from ebay, I'm hoping to get a custom made driver - I'm really interested in selecting the right shaft.

I have no idea of my swing speed, so I was hoping to go to a golf shop and have the Pro there monitor my swing and select the right shaft/clubhead combination for me.

I'm sure a number of you have done this?
    It is important to select the correct shaft according to your swing speed, right?
    Can anyone recommend a good golf shop in the west Co. Dublin / north Co. Kildare area where I can get this done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Golfworks in lucan have a driving bay where they measure your speed, and the guy working in the shop is a pro which helps,

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

I'm sure a number of you have done this?
    It is important to select the correct shaft according to your swing speed, right?

I have had this done, then sent the data to a clubmaker in america who built my setup. You can get very scientific about it all. And i will for a laugh, bear with me.

Swing speed isn't the only factor on selecting shaft stiffness, temo and action also play a huge part, as do a number of other factors. Someone with a fast action or tempo will need a stiffer shaft than someone with a lazy tempo.
    'Kick' points on shafts determine how high the ball launches and can help control your trajectory.
    Spin rate off the driver face needs to be at an optimal level to keep the ball in the air wothout balooning. Around 3000rpm afaik. Simply changing balls from a pro-v to a callaway HX can fix this although different driver heads produce more spin than others. eg: R7 more than R5
    Launch angle, determined by the loft of the driver, should be around 15* to give you the bombs your looking for.

You get these 4 pieces of data, swingspeed, launch angle, ball speed and spin rate, from 3 or 4 differend drivers and any clubmaker worth his salt will get you the perfect driver.

Be warned though. I did 3 seperate testings over a whole month.
    Think of it like this, you go for a fitting, playing like god, you will get a driver that only god will be able to hit :D I'd say go for a few fittings, if you can afford it, to build up a profile for your swing.

Advertisement