Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I bother with W/C and overlcocking?

Options
  • 27-02-2006 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Well I've had precious little to do lately - and have been considering setting up watercooling on my machine, for a number of reasons.
    • I have a stock P4 fan and it's driving me crazy, I know I could replace it with a silent fan, but where's the fun in that?
    • I'd like to do a bit of overclocking as I've not messed with this machine yet, my parts are all well out of warranty (bar from my graphics card), and with a new machine in mind I don't mind messing up something.
    • As I said, don't have much to do in terms of tinkering.

I'd like to get a few things figured out (or anwsered) before I really start to look into this. Is it gonna require much work in terms of case modding (dremel work most likely) to get an internal w/c set up done. Then, considering my PC specs, will I be able to get much out of overclocking. If there is no point in overclocking, then I can skimp a bit on some of the w/c parts as I won't need it to keep o/c'd temps down.

I have attatched screens from CPU-Z which should give enough details on my system spec, as I have no idea what you need to know to be able to tell if it's woth o/c'ing. I can run SiSoft Sandra to get any more details you might need.

Oh yeah - cpu-z doesn't show graphics. I have this graphics card

Here's a pic of my case (before I installed everything) - what all would have to be changed to get w/c set up? I can post a pic of the case as it is now tomorrow if need be. Or would it be easier to get a new case? Which as I think about it wouldn't be a bad idea. If so, could you recommend one?

casesideshot0ai.th.jpg

All comments and sugestions are greatly appreciated. :) Thanks
    Daniel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

You could probably get a reasonable overclock just with your stock cooler. You should try that first to get your feet wet before jumping straight into water cooling and expecting a savage overclock.

Plenty of northwood Pentium 4s get a fair few hundred MHz without needing a btter cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Both my CPU and GPU are running at just over 50C stock... don't think I want to be doing much overclocking with them like that. Anyway, watercooling is something I want to do for the project and experience. As my next machine I want watercooled so I'd rather do it on an old (3 years) machine first.
    The O/Cing will just be a bonus to get a bit more life outta my machine and give me time to get another machine planned and built. So being able to o/c or not isn't a biggie, I'd like to get water cooling anyway. As I said in my first post, if you think I can overclock CPU, graphics, and maybe memory a decent amount or even at all then I'll be sure to spend that bit extra on w/c parts to get good quality. :)

Advertisement