Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pain

Options
  • 26-02-2006 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

i was at the dentist on friday and had a tooth out but it hurt so bad..

i hate needles and thought that would be the worst part but it didnt even come close to the pain of the extraction. when he started putting pressure on the tooth it felt excruciating so i raised my hand to stop him. he gave me more anaesthetic and uses some instrument that blew compressed 'air' onto the gum around the tooth. again i raised my hand cos this bloody hurt aswell.
    anyway he eventually got it out after more tugging and me whimpering like a baby. he said it was possible that i had some infection in the gum around the tooth, which stopped the drug from working properly.

my question is, should it have hurt this much? i have to go back and get a wisdom tooth extracted but am growing more and more anxious. any dentist's on here that might be able to help. it hurt for ages after aswell, almost like the anaesthetic hadnt done anything for me

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

why did you have the tooth out??

i found the wosrt pain of tooth pullin g was the dentists finger in my eye (have had four out)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ashlynch

No def shouldn't be that bad, although you should feel a lot of presure but nothing like you are describing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Squaddy

Give it time to heal. It could take weeks so dont worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

sounds like you might ave had an abcess or something just starting a pinful infection that wasn't obvious yet to the dentist, i've just had two wisdom teeth dug out of my gums, and the only pain was the throbbing afterwards, and neurofen cleared that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

so i had that done last friday and i'd say by tues it had stopped hurting so much. i had the tooth out because it was damaged and he said i should. he pointed out the possibility of an infected saliva gland in the gum above the tooth and thought this might have been to blame.

another thing is im a big guy, would this have had anything to do with the anaesthetic not working properly. i know it did work to some extent cos it hurt more about half hour later, and my lips had been tingling.

im in for wisdom tooth on monday. thats going to be fun

• Advertisement
Advertisement