Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOIP signal

Options
  • 26-02-2006 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Is the voip connection converted to data ,how big if so ???
    I can connect my mobile phone via bluetooth and use the 3G connection ,but if VOIP uses a very low Kilobyte signal, it might be cheaper to use my voip phone on my laptop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Is the voip connection converted to data ,how big if so ???
    I can connect my mobile phone via bluetooth and use the 3G connection ,but if VOIP uses a very low Kilobyte signal, it might be cheaper to use my voip phone on my laptop.

Three announced that Skype enabled phones would be available on their European networks under a flat rate data plan according to some sources. To answer your question, VoIP has a rather heavy payload (hence it barely works over dial-up connections and broadband is the preferred route etc.)

There are also questions of latency. Given the rip-off data charges on Irish 3G networks at present I doubt if VoIP is likely to be money saver!

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/6a3d7cd4-9d88-11da-b1c6-0000779e2340.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

Thanks for that ,I wasn't sure whether the VOIP signal was picked up on the ISPs network, thought maybe it had it's own stuff for doing it.
    Maybe some day though.

Advertisement