Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living In France

Options
  • 24-02-2006 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

My friend and I are planning on moving to France for a few months this summer and I was wondering if you have any tips on finding work, getting a place to live etc.

Or spoken French is poor but we're working on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dédé

Where abouts are you going? And what kind of job are you looking for? It's hard to get a job here, especially if you don't speak French. To find a place to live you can try www.seloger.fr

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭spuddy

Can't recommend Nantes enough, lovely city just south of brittany, not too big, plenty to do, big student population, cheap public transport, great weather during summer (but not too hot), good irish pub (mcbyrnes, good for a job as all the staff are native english speakers), great vibe there and u can get there for near nothing now with ryanair from both dublin and shannon

...can't believe i've just left it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

Keara dede

Hi Keara,

Im Irish and lived in France for a year as a student. I lived in Caen in Normandy and id reccomend it to anyone (its only 2 hours on train from Paris).

Dede is right about it hard getting a job if you dont speak french. Higher levels of employment, and a slightly bureaucratic system means that you must do more preparation for France as opposed to other european countries.

....But once you do your research and have everything prepared, France will treat you well.

This link is for teaching english in france and might be useful...
    http://www.tefljobsinfrance.com/

Sarkozy pour president! (un blague)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

Spuddy,

Nantes sounds bloody good. I must go there sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭spuddy

Shinto wrote:
    Spuddy,

Nantes sounds bloody good. I must go there sometime.

its class, had a fantastic time there
    ...if ur lookin for any more info, drop me a line

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Keara

Thanks for the links.
    We're working hard on our spoken french and have someone to help us if we get really stuck, like perfecting our C.V.'s. We're hoping to get somewhere in the south, www.anpe.fr has a lot of listings for bar/restaurant staff, so fingers crossed on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

has anyone every been to montpellier? I am moving to France in a few weeks to look for work. Want to go somewhere with a large student population. I hear Aix-en Provence also has a big university????

Conor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

con1982 wrote:
    has anyone every been to montpellier? I am moving to France in a few weeks to look for work. Want to go somewhere with a large student population. I hear Aix-en Provence also has a big university????

Conor

Montpellier is a really great, young & vibrant city. One of the best cities in France imo. I'm jealous!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

I love montpellier, i live bout an hr away,and went up there for paddys. Great atmosphere, loads of students about. Modern and fast-paced city..love it!!

Advertisement