Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

all it took was a smile

Options
  • 24-02-2006 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

aching but giddy from a day full of adventure, I swing my guitar down and drop myself into the aurora seat. the bus lurches and then takes off, knocking me back with almost as much force as the girl wearing the blue tights.

she smiles at me so naturally, as if I actually please her. but then I'm forgotten. her eyes turn out to watch the coffee stain world roll by. and I wrench my guitar case apart for some paper and a pen.

she reminds me of France, of names like Sylvia or Celine. gorgeous burgandy black hair resting playfully on her shoulders, wrapped in an overlarge white sweater with a huge neck curled around her throat like human fur.

she's wearing brown leather boots to go with her brown leather bag. and tucked into them are neon blue tights, covered at the hip with a bright pink skirt.

in one of her hands is her ipod, clearly much more expensive than mine. she's resting her umbrella on her forearm. her other hand is laying on the seat beside her, tapping along to the music.

i start to sketch her. she knows. she lifts up her fringe, trying to pretend it was bothering her. but her eyes tell different. I let her make believe. everytime she turns my way I avert my eyes. unfortunately, in the gathering darkness the lights inside the bus have made the windows reflective. but she enjoys the attention.

when I finish my drawing I look straight ahead. I'm done with her. when she gets off I give her the folded paper without a word. hell, I don't even smile. I just hold it in front of her, barring her way, so she has to take it. she takes it without a word or a smile and gets off.

the bus hits a corner and something heavy hits the floor. no one else bothers to notice, but I look down to see what she's forgotten.

she got a bic pen picture, I got an umbrella. hell, it's raining.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭lu22

thats a really beautiful piece of writing ... thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭shiv

this is, hands down, the best thing I have read on this forum in ages. Seriously. It's completely natural, free-flowing, smart and addictive.
    Short, but damn-near perfect.
    Well done! I hope you are being recognized for your writing talents.
    Not everyone can do prose (including me, but you inspire me to try), so kudos. :)
    Submit more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 name_less

I just don't get why more people aren't commenting on your work man. Also, I wanna meet this french girl...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

Agree with the above - really enjoyed it.

Advertisement