Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! New WD Raptor 150gb problem

Options
  • 23-02-2006 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

I've just purchased a lovely new wd Raptor 150gb hd from Komplett.ie. First of all i was disappointed to see that it just arrived in an anti static bag. No cables, manual or anything, i mean you spend 310euro on a hard drive! Now i find that for some unknown reason my mobo wont detect it. I have an Abit ax8 k8t890. I have tested the raptor on a dell machine so it does work. My own rig doesnt even detect it, doesnt seem to be spinning? Does my mobo need a bios update coz there is no mention of Sata in the bios at all? By the way i do have it connected up properly.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

First of all i was disappointed to see that it just arrived in an anti static bag. No cables, manual or anything, i mean you spend 310euro on a hard drive!

No idea whats wrong with it but the way u got it is a joke... Id have gone mad at em for that..

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭CSSource God

Are you telling me that i should of got it with box, manual cables and accessories? Its just like it's OEM or something. If thats the case i am really annoyed.:mad: Anyway i pay DHL to get it here quickly and now i cant run it LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Heck even if it was oem id expect a box.. I've gotten a good few oem bits before n they've always been boxed. I'd have expected it to at least come in a hard plastic case, never known a HD not to..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Can you even buy raptors "retail" ?

My Maxtor and WD drives from Komplett came in just an anti static bag.

A Manual? what for?

What cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

OEM drives come in bubble wrap these days, haven't got a box in years. (WD, maxtor, seagate from elara/overclockers/komplett/itdirect/overclock etc.)

I had problems with the older Via boards and newer Sata drives as well, they just don't appear in the bios at all, so its probably related to that. It may just be that your board is too old to support it (try a bios update as well btw).

The first Via Sata boards tended to treat the sata like an add-on card, like the extra raid controllers that come on many boards, even though it was integrated into the south bridge. Newer chipsets have native support, but i'd hazard a guess that this is where the problem is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

So are you still having the problems. I presume you've installed sata drivers for your m/b and formatted the raptor aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

unklerosco wrote:
    I'd have expected it to at least come in a hard plastic case, never known a HD not to..

I've never known a hard drive to come packaged like that unless you get a retail boxed one from the robbers down at dixons/pc world.

Every hard drive I have bought online has been an oem version which just turns up in an antistatic bag + bubble wrap + padded box.

Tried everything, Read all manuals forums etc. Last resort now is im gettin my mate to format it and install windows on it with his machine. We both know our stuff but this one has us puzzled! I might do it the lazy way and just order a mobo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Just an off the wall thought? How is your PSU?? Is it man enough for the job. That Raptor has got to have pretty high demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've never known a hard drive to come packaged like that unless you get a retail boxed one from the robbers down at dixons/pc world.

Every hard drive I have bought online has been an oem version which just turns up in an antistatic bag + bubble wrap + padded box.

Same here and I've bought a hard disk or two in my time ;)
    I might do it the lazy way and just order a mobo.

:eek:

Just connect it to a SATA slot on your current mobo, boot from CD with your windows XP cd in the drive and have a floppy disk ready with the SATA driver for your mobo. Don't forget to press F6 while the XP installation is starting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

you do a bios update on mobo?

gline wrote:
    you do a bios update on mobo?

Surely that wouldn't be necessary on a relatively new (it has PCI-E) mobo?

unkel wrote:
    Surely that wouldn't be necessary on a relatively new (it has PCI-E) mobo?

doesnt make a difference how new the mobo is, try updating the bios to very latest

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I have the bios up to date. Im gettin my friend to format it because when i even try to format it, a warning appears saying No hard disk can be detected in order to Install xp etc. 480W Thermaltake Butterfly is more than enough also.

No hard disk can be detected in order to Install xp etc.

I remember having that on a few occasions. Did you make sure your mobo's raid is enabled in BIOS - should be there somewhere

Also when you boot up, there's usually an option to configure your raid (separate from BIOS). Typically a quick message flashes on the screen and you can enter RAID setup with something like <CTRL> i

Have a look at that

is the pc overclocked??? is the pci and agp bus overclocked? if so it will not detect some drives, happened to me before

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

You can buy a retail Raptor, 74GB. I've seen one for sale in Malpin in Limerick. Retail is a waste, they are charging like €279 for it.

All my Raptors came as OEM in anti-static bags, SATA cables come with mobo's...why do you need a manual?, the internet has loads of guides.

You can buy a retail Raptor, 74GB. I've seen one for sale in Malpin in Limerick. Retail is a waste, they are charging like €279 for it.

All my Raptors came as OEM in anti-static bags, SATA cables come with mobo's...why do you need a manual?, the internet has loads of guides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Are you sure your doing the F6 part during windows install as pointed out a few times?
    Also, if it's a via chipset, sometimes you need to disable the sata II with a jumper on the HD.

Ta:) I will give this a try, you must admit though its certainly not straight forward especially with my mobo. I installed it on a Dell straight away no prob! I will try F6 and work on the via controller. Its a shame to have a 150gig raptor sitting on my desk :(

• Advertisement

I'll buy it off ya for €150.

:-)

HaHa you cheeky git, how about i hit you on the head with it:)

I'm down with that, but i'll have to drop my bid to €130.

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

You said there is no mention of SATA in your BIOS? Thats odd, if it is plugged in and if your mobo supports SATA there should be something there letting you know if a HDD is connected, it does for ATA at least. If you can't see it in BIOS you won't see it by hitting f6 in the XP setup, thats just there so that XP can detect the 3rd party drivers. Fix the BIOS problem first, then work on XP. Flash your BIOS to its latest version, then check if it's being picked up.

btw, what PSU do you have? Watts and the ampage on your +12v rails?

Advertisement