Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop weights, eBay

Options
  • 23-02-2006 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,

I've been half-thinking of getting a laptop. It really needs to be light, small and very portable.

Most laptops on the net seem to be around 2.5kg. Is this light for a laptop? I wouldn't have thought so but I have nothing to compare it against.

Ultimately, I just want something to use if I'm travelling - office apps and internet mainly. Nothing too flashy - def no games. Operating system isn't too important - Linux would be fine for what I need. As I have a good desktop at home, I don't really want to spend too much on it. Second hand would be fine (actually might be better as it'd be cheaper).

You probably all have more experience than me...can you offer any advice? Is it a bad idea to go 2nd hand (battery life etc.)? Are there any well-priced 2nd hand shops around Dublin? What about eBay? What particular models best suit my needs? (e.g. IBM Thinkpads seem to be better than Dell Inspirons).

Just interested in your thoughts...

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Darwin

Hi, sounds to me like you're in the market for an ultraportable, which is generally accepted as weighing under 4lbs (2.2 Kg). I've always bought second hand and have been lucky enough never to have any problems that could not be fixed easily enough. I recently bought a Fujitsu Lifebook P model 5010 on ebay to replace my wife's Vaio which suffered a cracked screen after a 4 foot drop. It weighs 3.6lbs, has a 10" widescreen display, integrated DVD/CD-RW and a battery life of nearly four hours. It's a great little machine for travelling - there are compromises of course with the small display. There is a risk when buying used (no warranty etc) but for me it outweighs the cost of buying new for $$$. Ultraportables are not cheap though, be prepared to spend 750E or more for a used centrino model.
    The Sony Vaio SRX series (e.g. srx87, srx99) can be had for less as they use a mobile Pentium 3 processor which is still fine for general office use/web surfing. Again, these are a lovely little machine with a clear 10" display, and slim form factor as there is no integrated optical drive. Expect to pay between 500 and 600 for a nice used model from the states.

Other models you could consider in the used market are:
    Sony Vaio TR1 series
    Averatec 1000 series (fairly new on the market, but good value for money)
    Sharp Actius
    JVC and Toshiba also have ultraportables if you do a bit of research

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 member101

Thanks Darwin...they're not exactly as cheap as I'd like, but thats to be expected for the size! You've given me some room for thought anyway. At least I know what to look for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

member101 wrote:
    Most laptops on the net seem to be around 2.5kg. Is this light for a laptop?
    I wouldn't say so - I'd regard anything at that weight or higher as something of a desktop replacement or something that goes in a car boot on its travels rather than something you'll willingly carry in a bag for any length of time. Stating the obvious but pick up two and a half full bags of sugar, put them on a tray and that's the weight we're considering. Then amagine carrying that for whatever length of time you may be carrying the machine you're thinking of buying. Continuing with the bleedin' obvious, any bag you put the thing in will add weight as will the power adapter and anything else you'll throw in the bag for convenience.

Advertisement