Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone make internal doors

Options
  • 23-02-2006 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

A mate of mines mum is looking for a set of doors to divide a back room from a conservatory. I was going to do it but cannot buy standard doors that have glass in the top section and are the correct size. Basically there are two options here, at the moment there is a patio sliding door which originally provided access to the back garden but now leads into the conservatory, this has to be removed first.

Option 1 make a set of double doors centre them and build a stud partition in either side so there is enough room for the doors to fold back fully on them.

Option 2 make four narrower doors and use parliament hinges so you can fold the doors up fully right back to the walls. I think she would prefer this option as it can open the two rooms fully into one room.

The doors are to be painted white so they need not be an expensive hardwood. The bottom half of the door is to be pannelled and the top half glass with a curve at the top so the top rail will be arched a bit.

Anyway if youre interested and up to the job leave a shout back, it is based in Blackrock and if you need a second pair of hands for fitting I'll give a dig out.

Thanks
    Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi

I could make the doors no problem, however I don't have much experience fitting doors of this type. (option 2 in original post).

Are the doors lightweight??? ie. 20mm, 32mm or 40mm thick?

Glass is usually inserted into a recess from the back side of the door and held in place with silicone, rubber strips or clips. These methods may not be acceptable for this application as the doors are visible from both sides... if not the glass could be put into a groove and the doors glued around the glass, grand but what if the glass breaks? I have seen glass inserted into a recess and held in place with wooden strips tacked into place, this may work...

Would there be a track above or below the doors to help with opening them? If so that would have to be done correctly and would take time.

I can make the doors no problem for about €375 to €500 for the four six foot tall, 1 foot wide, 32mm thick, solid pine framed doors (rail & stile) with raised panels below and 6mm glass above, as well as the relevant hardware... I could also spray them a solid white, great finish. Fitting would be extra... these prices are rough guidelines only just to give an idea...
    I think pine is a good choice because MDF is so heavy...

Cheers so...
    Joe
    http://www.eccabinets.com

Advertisement