Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please look here

Options
  • 22-02-2006 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

i go to the range once a week and i hit about 110 balls
    i have a driver with 15 digrees of loft a 7 wood with 25 d's of loft a 3,6,8 irons and a wedge with i am guessing with 45 d's of loft
    so how many balls should i hit with each club

can you also help me get some extra distance (my range with the driver is 160-170)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

o_O wrote:
    i have a driver with 15 digrees of loft a 7 wood with 25 d's of loft a 3,6,8 irons and a wedge with i am guessing with 45 d's of loft

can you also help me get some extra distance (my range with the driver is 160-170)

If you get a chance you should stand in front of a mirror with a club across your chest and turn. If it appears abvious that you are falling onto your back side, it means that you are reverse pivoting. This could be the reason why your balls don't go as far as you would like them to go.

You never mentioned the ball you would most typically have- a slice ball flight will reduce distance immediately. If this is the case then turn your hands more to the right and aim for a ball flight with a hook characteristic, your shots will go lower and further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Lessons would help you a lot I reckon..

As for what to hit, well it all depends on what you want to practice on the day doesn't it???

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭okden

lessons, a 9 iron and another wedge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭DIEGO WORST

o_O wrote:

One major word of advice.....Get urself a few lessons. There are PGA professionals in some of the golf ranges around, some of them are very good and can spot flaws immediately. It is quite possible that most of your problems can be solved by correcting your grip and setup.

As for practice.....instead of aimlessly shooting balls into the night air, pick out a few targets on the range, and try to hit the ball as close as possible to them. I recommend working with 7I ~ PW for starters, they are much easier to hit than the longer clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

One major word of advice.....Get urself a few lessons. There are PGA professionals in some of the golf ranges around, some of them are very good and can spot flaws immediately. It is quite possible that most of your problems can be solved by correcting your grip and setup.

best advice you can get,
    always see a pro don't just bash at balls, and people who don't tell you to get at least one lesson are not helping you.
    you wouldn't try and drive your car without getting a few lessons, golfs the same, it's not about hitting balls it's about your swing, you look after the swing the swing will look after the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

okden wrote:
    lessons, a 9 iron and another wedge.
    I agree with (1) but why on earth would s/he need another wedge or a 9 iron?:confused:
    The OP will be hitting a 7 iron for months and loving it.

GreeBo wrote:
    I agree with (1) but why on earth would s/he need another wedge or a 9 iron?:confused:
    The OP will be hitting a 7 iron for months and loving it.
    so you think he should buy a 7 iron :p

i thought it might help him divide his time up better so hed concentrate on the short game
    3, 6, 8, 9, w, sw.
    you can get a 2nd hand single iron that matches your set on ebay for next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

put your weight to the toes of your feet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That is a very lofted Driver and a very lofted wood.

You will get more distance by simply getting a lesser degree driver.

The less loft a club has, the more topspin you put on the ball, that generates the ball in a more foward action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 o_O

but i am only 12 but i might get a proper driver in like a couple of weeks time
    meybe 10.5 but i have no idea wich driver i should get HELP mE!!!!!

• Advertisement

your only twelve years old? O right.

Well a 10.5 degree would be helpful cause it will get the ball up quick for you. Get a driver you can hit consitently and you like, you can go test them in most driving ranges, dont splash on a mad exspensive club, at 12 yrs of age you wont be getting the full benefits.

Just make sure you get yourself a solid short game, its the most important part of anyones game, 100yrds in, its what wins tournaments and games. I won my first tournament at 12 yrs of age cause i was stitching pins and holing putts.

Driving is not an important part of the game really.

During last summer during a v-par tournament in the club, in which over 200 people contested, I shot a 74, shooting like 10 up, best gross score of the day. and ym stats for the day where

0 out of 14 Fairways hit
    17 of 18 greens in reg

My iron game was immaculate while i missed every fairway. Practice those irons thats what i say.

That is a very lofted Driver and a very lofted wood.

You will get more distance by simply getting a lesser degree driver.

The less loft a club has, the more topspin you put on the ball, that generates the ball in a more foward action.

:confused: THIS IS WRONG :confused:

there is no topspin on any ball flight, all shots have backspin (even puts)

the less loft a club has the less backspin you put on the ball

the more loft a club has the more backspin you put on the ball
    also
    the higher your clubhead speed the more backspin you put on the ball

backspin creates more than half your distance, no backspin and we'd all be driving the ball only 120 yards, so backspin is your friend not your enemy, backspin is only a problem when the ball flight balloons (rises too quickly in the middle, and lands too softly at the end.) only when this happens should you get less loft.

@ o_O
    so if your ball flight balloons when you hit a good shot, ask a pro at the range if he thinks you need less loft in your driver.
    i doubt you will need less loft, as you prob have a slowish clubhead speed (you asked how to get more distance).
    if you dont need it, less loft will loose you distance

tiger and sergio often use a 11.5, they get distance by having a high clubhead speed and hitting the ball in the centre of the club face every time, you can improve both these by getting lessons from the pro.

ask the pro if your shaft has the right flex for you, with a slow swing the wrong flex will rob you of much more distance then the wrong loft.

you should also use hard distance type balls if your swing is slow.

if you get lessons now, and learn how to hit it out of the middle every time, then distance will come as you grow stronger.

well yeah everyshot has backspin, but like a lwoer loft shoots the ball at a lower trajectory, and you get more roll, practiculy like having topspin.

ok, the original poster, o_O, is asking advice about spending money, and your giving him bad advice.

your telling him to get a 10.5 if he wants more distance THIS IS WRONG

if you dont beleive my post you should do some research before further encouraging him to waste money on a club that is going to rob him of distance.

this link has FACTS about driver loft.

if you dont beleive the facts, get a pro to bend your driver to 0 or even -1 degrees that'll give you topspin, launch it as high as you want and tell us how you got on.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

well yeah everyshot has backspin, but like a lwoer loft shoots the ball at a lower trajectory, and you get more roll, practiculy like having topspin.
    err still no.
    Backspin is backspin, there is not topspin in backspin.
    You can get topspin on putts by having the ball more forward in your stance and a forward press though on longer putts the ball can popup, which is not good.

Advertisement