Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Insurance

Options
  • 22-02-2006 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Anybody recommend laptop insurance as my home insurance policy doesnt seem to cover it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭JasperKat

I've spent considerable time researching this topic too :( , finding amongst other things that even if your laptop was covered by your home ins., as soon as you took it outside your property it's NOT covered.

If your ins. company do agree to cover it in the home, if it cost you over €1000.00 you will also need to list it as a specified item, prove the value & pay an excess if you claim.

Most ins. companies will only cover a home pc (defined as a desktop pc) used purely for personal use. If there's any hint of it being used for any other purpose it isn't covered.

In the end I gave up & bought ComputracePlus.:D

Jasper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

My son just insured his laptop with his contents insurance, including cover when he takes it into DCU, all for the princely sum of €139 p.a. This includes his possessions in the shared rented house. FYI, the company was Allianz Direct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tq

my screen went on my laptop last year and i was able to get a new one on my home insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ublinia2

I would insure the laptop on my home insurance as well but for some reason , the company / broker says that the policy wount alow it . i am going to have to look for a stand alone laptop policy .

That guy in DCU , did he get a policy of his own ie with the laptop or was the laptop and his contents insured with the home house policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭JasperKat

Just rung Allianz direct (2nd time) & I quote:

A laptop wld be covered inside the house up to the value of approx. €650, but if it's taken outside the property it is only covered if it's a specified item, value proved, & there would also be an excess to pay of between €125-€250 depending on policy. This is if the pc/laptop was used for personal use only. (not business)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ublinina2

anybody else have any other suggestions ?

i tried allianz but then house insurance policy will only be up to 20% contents as they need locks and alarms on all windows and doors to get offer me a quote for more than 20 % contents.

All suggestions would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Mine is covered on the house insurance. I'm not entirely sure on the terms of the cover though, I should really check that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

tq wrote:
    my screen went on my laptop last year and i was able to get a new one on my home insurance

How did you manage that?

Advertisement