Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperately Slow Boot

Options
  • 22-02-2006 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭

Right, here's the problem
    . Turned off my laptop last night, no problem. Turned it on this morning, no problem. Put it into hibernation, no problem. Tried to take it out of hibernation, had to wait for an age! Didn't download anything while I was online, didn't visit anything dodgy. Have rebooted it and started from a clean boot up, problem still persists. There is about a ten minute delay from the first Compaq screen, to the Windows screen. Normally there is a black screen with a flashing cursor between these that comes and goes for a few seconds. Once I get past this, everything boots up as normal. It's happening on the battery and on mains. It isn't over heating, the fan isn't having to come on. It's only about a year old.

It's a Pavillion zv5000/zv5169ea. Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hmmm, doesn't sound like software, but just in case - let's rule it out.

Get into safe mode (press F8 before Windows loading screen appears) and open up msconfig (Start->Run->msconfig). See what is loading at start up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

What should I be looking out for?

I've had a hardware problem before. First machine I had went within a couple of weeks. The little pin in the back of the machine that inserts into the mains cable broke and wouldn't let it boot up. That time, the fans came on full blast but wouldn't let it boot up at all. Had to get a replacement.

Just going on my own message above, tried it with the battery taken out altogether and it worked fine. Dang. I use it on the battery a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

whyulittle wrote:
    What should I be looking out for?

Anything really, make sure you can explain what each item is doing. If you don't know - pull it out (untick it).
    whyulittle wrote:
    I've had a hardware problem before

Don't get me started on Pavillions. I have a zv5000 too and I am very unhappy with it.

tom dunne wrote:
    Don't get me started on Pavillions. I have a zv5000 too and I am very unhappy with it.

Bar the two problems I mentioned, I'm happy enough with mine. First laptop though so maybe I just don't know any better!

Thanks for your help Tom.

• Advertisement
Advertisement