Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

questions for solicitors

Options
  • 22-02-2006 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

when you went to the law society and did the irish exams, what were they like and what is the level of irish you would need to pass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

p~b wrote:
    when you went to the law society and did the irish exams, what were they like and what is the level of irish you would need to pass

I'm not a solicitor but I am a person who did the Irish exam about two years ago when I was in second year in university and passed.

If you're Irish and did Irish in school, piss easy. Foreigners should definately get grinds though.

Basically question one was a translation exam, tricky enough if you let yourself get bogged down on one or two obscure words that you wouldn't know.

Question two was an essay, the titles were Junior Cert standard - I think our choices were "An Timpeallacht" or an interview with Roy Keane, something like that. The oral lasted about 30 seconds, basically as long as you could answer "Cad is ainm duit?" you'd be grand, they seemed to be just wanting to get through as many as possible the day I did them.

Basically depending on how long ago it is since you did Irish just have a read over some essays you would have done in school and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

thanks for that, its the only things that would put me of going for it apart from the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Apparently this year the only 2 people who failed to get through the Irish exams were two Irish students who didn't put any work in... other students from Nigeria, Romania etc. all got through... (but this was the King's Inns Irish test not the Law Society's one - don't know if the standard is different).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Pal fo mine did it and said that you're given 3 hours to do the written thing, and when the invigilator announced this at the start, there was a guffaw from the candidates and a mass exodus after 45 minutes....piece o' piss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 milkytigerrr

I did it this year. Passed... and I got a D2 in Leaving Cert Pass 6 years ago. Did the course in Griffith, only attended 2/5 nights and brushed up over Christmas. Its not hard at all. Rumour has it they don't even look at your written exam unless you're borderline in the oral. U must pass the oral to pass and thats a 30 second 'How'ya?' I wouldn't fret about it. It sthe bloody FE1'A that are the bane of my life at the mo...grrrr

• Advertisement

It really is that easy??? Wow those two Irish guys must have tried not to pass then!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No pressure now p~b :p

DaveMcG wrote:
    No pressure now p~b :p

not at all lol :rolleyes:

while were on the subject, what are the other exams like

and how hard is the irish government and politics entrance exam for law society

I imagine it would be something along the lines of "Who is the least corrupt politician in Ireland: A. Bertie B. Mary C. Enda D. Trevor E. Pat" etc. etc.

I say that in jest don't sue for libel! I'm a poor student anyway... and I'll plead fair comment ;)

• Advertisement

<snip>

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

p~b, I will not warn you again. Read the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

p~b, I will not warn you again. Read the forum charter.
    you will not beat this hardcore moderation. It's 24hr. Look at the time of the snip

To be fair to P~B aren't we allowed to criticise politicians? ...I remember that ECHR case which decided it wasn't libelous to call a politician an "idiot"

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Well that's not what p~b said. I'm afraid defamatory comment is unacceptable in this forum.

so let me get this right, your not allowed to give your own opinion on politicians.

i think hullaballoo being a bit of a dictator

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

p~b wrote:
    so let me get this right, your not allowed to give your own opinion on politicians.

i think hullaballoo being a bit of a dictator
    If he was a dictator, he would have snipped this post! :p

p~b banned from the Legal Discussion forum by Asok.

Asok? Is that an acronym or someone's username?

Asok.

Now, I'm locking this thread because it's outlived its usefulness.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement