Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one true religion?

Options
  • 21-02-2006 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Hey I reckon people here might know this best as I would guess you guys would have looked up most religions before deciding there is no point to organised religion.

Anyway are there any religions that don't claim to be the one true religion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

not sure really, one example might be Buddism. It doesn't claim to be a religion more as simply a way of living yet some people treat it as a religion all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hey I reckon people here might know this best as I would guess you guys would have looked up most religions before deciding there is no point to organised religion.
    I would imagine whether or not there's a point to organised religion is irrelevant to most atheist/agnostics. It's foremost about whether or not you see any validity in the claims of the religion.

I won't address buddhism, as there are more expert here to do that.

Regarding UU, my personal opinion is that it is religion for those who don't believe. I've heard it suggested that "faith is the belief in something you know isn't true" and this is particularly true in this case.

Wiki first calls UU a "belief system". I'd have left it at that, rather than calling it a religion (in this context).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

caff wrote:
    not sure really, one example might be Buddism. It doesn't claim to be a religion more as simply a way of living yet some people treat it as a religion all the same.

Good call, that is correct, its not a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Munster Rugby......
    I'll get my coat

• Advertisement
Advertisement