Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freedon of Information

Options
  • 21-02-2006 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

:o

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Are you referring to the data protection act? I think there's a right to view any data held on computer about you and presumably that covers telephone calls as well.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Wait, I just found this:

6.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, every person has a right to and shall, on request therefor, be offered access to any record held by a public body and the right so conferred is referred to in this Act as the right of access.

(2) It shall be the duty of a public body to give reasonable assistance to a person who is seeking a record under this Act—

( a ) in relation to the making of the request under section 7 for access to the record, and

( b ) if the person has a disability, so as to facilitate the exercise by the person of his or her rights under this Act.

(3) The Minister shall, after consultation with such other (if any) Ministers of the Government as he or she considers appropriate, draw up and publish to public bodies guidelines in relation to compliance by public bodies with subsection (2) (b), and public bodies shall have regard to any such guidelines.

(4) The records referred to in subsection (1) are records created after the commencement of this Act and—

( a ) records created during such period (if any), or after such time (if any), before the commencement of this Act, and

( b ) records created before such commencement and relating to such particular matters (if any), and

( c ) records created during such period (if any) and relating to such particular matters (if any),

as may be prescribed, after consultation with such Ministers of the Government as the Minister considers appropriate.
    That would appear to refer to financial information given the rest of the act.

The rest of the act is available here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bookee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Bookee wrote:
    Thanks, but I'm still no wiser.<snip>

Your solicitor is not a public body and not covered by the act, though maybe covered by data protection act.

Please remember ban on asking for specific legal advice on this forum.

Bookee - this is not a legal advice board, read the stickies. PM sent.

• Advertisement

Thanks for Editing, Hul. Was just trying to get in to do it. Perfect!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Bookee wrote:
    Really didn't think I WAS asking for advice. I think alot of 'Non Legals' would have known the answer to that.
    :(
    But it would still be advice though...

Advertisement