Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fissure seals

• 20-02-2006 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me whether dentists will do fissure seals on adults?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Moving to "Dental Issues", should get a better response there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

esperanza wrote:
    Can anyone tell me whether dentists will do fissure seals on adults?

I can answer this with 100% certainty!
    As part of getting an implant I had to visit my local dentist after many many years of non visits.
    I had fissure seals on my back teeth about 15 years ago that seemed to have preserved them rather well, problem is the rest needed serious work.
    So asked the dentist if the rest could have the same treatment after the filling work was done and they said absolutely, it's highly recommended for any age.

So yep, fissure seal away..will prevent the drill and injections (god i HATE the injection) later.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

No dentist should have a problem putting fisure sealings on an adult if they do look elsewhere for a dentist.

I want to get fisure sealings done on all my molar teeth (had them done as a child and they were great for protecting my teeth) Unfortunately at €40 each they aren't cheap.

A.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Would they prevent a build up of calculus on somebody who was prone to it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

isn't that a branch of maths?

me dentist reckons they are great for children and teenagers but doesnt think they have a significant benefit for adults

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Tree wrote:

me dentist reckons they are great for children and teenagers but doesnt think they have a significant benefit for adults

personally i dont think they are much use on adults who tend to have low decay rates anyway. u get decay when u are young and gum disease when u are old!

exceptions are deep fissures in decay prone adults on unblemised molars where they are a good idea.

they have a nasty tendancy to hide decay under them sometimes, and also that part of them chips away creating a point of stagnation and causing decay around them. thats why one has to balance risk, cost, time and advantage.

they wont do anything to prevent decay between teeth, under or around old fillings, or stop any build up pf calculus( tartar)

the cost is based on time spent. my brother had a few done when he was a kid by the healthboard and they made his teeth not meet together for a few days after which they fell out, whereas i had one done as a demo by a colleague student when i was studying in the hospital and its still there so like everything there is some skill involved;)

Advertisement