Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Furry Animals

Options
  • 20-02-2006 5:20pm

Whats their best album??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Radiator. Followed closely by Rings Around The World and Guerrilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

rings around the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Radiator.
    second that. pure class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

great band.

i'm torn between guerrila/radiator/phantom power.

probably leaning towards guerrila to be honest, and i think phantom power is greatly underrated....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Guerilla has the best songs, but it isn't as consistent as Radiator. Surprised no-one's mentioned Fuzzy Logic yet, it's very raw but I like it. Not too big on their latest stuff though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Guerilla.

Anybody got Love Kraft? I was bitterly disappointed by Phantom Power, so haven't bothered to pick it up yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Doctor J wrote:
    Guerilla.

Anybody got Love Kraft? I was bitterly disappointed by Phantom Power, so haven't bothered to pick it up yet.

Love Kraft is so-so. It's a bit of grower, there's a couple of decent tracks on it. Wasn't too gone on Phantom Power either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Doctor J wrote:
    Guerilla.

I was dissappointed by Phantom Power as well, imo it was definitely a dip in form, I like Love Kraft though, some nice songs on it.
    They are a class band.

Its probably Radiator followed by Guerrilla then RATW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭the real ramon

Radiator and Guerrilla would be my favourite albums of theirs as well. Like RATW and Fuzzy Logic too. Like others I was disappointed by Phantom Power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I didnt think phantom power was taht bad
    Rings around the world as the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Fuzzy Logic for me, for its pure Gritty approach to punk rock in a bangin Welsh way! I have Love Kraft but i haven't played it too often, must dig it up again actually. SPF are one of my favourite bands, i'd love to see them live.

Id say rings around the world
    then Mwng
    then radiator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 VCK

Fuzzy Logic FTW!
    i'd love to see them live.

You should, they're fantastic!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Radiator, then Mwng. Both are consistently excellent.

Guerilla, Fuzzy Logic and Rings around the world are all a bit patchy, but have plenty of amazing tracks on them. the last 2 albums aren't great - too much mid-paced balladry, not enough craziness.

Gruffs solo album is good fun though, and he has a new one out in January:
    http://www.myspace.com/candylionmusic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Radiator defo the best imo, Herman loves Pauline is a cracker... Rings probably 2nd love the last 4-5 songs on it.

Wasn't gone on Phantom power infact I didn't like it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭mwnger

Phantom Power wouldn't be one of my favourites either. I felt the problem with it was that the songs were too long - one of the many virtues of the Furries was that the majority of their songs were under 4mins, particularly their early stuff, which is essential in pop/rock music IMO. They seemed to forget that with PP.
    That said, Phantom Power does contain one of my top 3 SFA songs ever - Slow Life. An absolute masterpiece. Best song of the 21st century so far!
    Yeah, I'd definitely go with Radiator as their best album. Closely followed by Out-Spaced, their B-sides and rarities album. Probably because there's so much weird/experimental stuff on it. Also I think the Welsh tracks are as good, if not better than the songs on Mwng.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Rings Around The World
    SPF are one of my favourite bands
    Super Purry Fanimals??:D

They're great live, too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

I find that fans who were into them from the start like the early stuff and not the newer stuff, and newer fans are the other way around. Maybe they've changed as a band? Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

Guerilla for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

For me, I reckon (best to less best, and chronological, strangely enough):
    1. Fuzzy Logic
    2. Radiator
    3. Geurilla
    4. Rings Around the World

• Advertisement

I find that fans who were into them from the start like the early stuff and not the newer stuff, and newer fans are the other way around. Maybe they've changed as a band? Any thoughts?

their first couple of albums have a marked glam-rock infuence that has disappeared on recent albums in favour of a more 70s folk\country-rock style (CSNY style harmonies etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tricky@

For me Radiator is their finest work, it would be up there in my top 10 favourite albums. The experiment with Love Kraft of having Daf, Bunf and Cian not only writing but contributing lead vocals on songs didnt work as far as i'm concerned, that album lacked cohesion and like Phantom Power contained a few excellent tunes but disappointed overall.

tricky@ wrote:
    For me Radiator is their finest work, it would be up there in my top 10 favourite albums. The experiment with Love Kraft of having Daf, Bunf and Cian not only writing but contributing lead vocals on songs didnt work as far as i'm concerned, that album lacked cohesion and like Phantom Power contained a few excellent tunes but disappointed overall.

aye - the other guys can sing, but they don't carry a song as well as Gruff, and the songs themselves were weak. There's probably a half-decent album there if you combine LoveKraft with Phantom Power:

Golden Retriever
    Valet Parking
    The undefeated
    Slow Life
    Zoom
    Ohio Heat
    Laser Beam
    Psyclone
    Cloudberries
    er...

well, a short half-decent album anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Radiator ftw
    Guerilla
    Fuzzy Logic
    Rings Around the World
    Phantom Power
    Love Kraft

Ice Hockey Hair may be their finest moment though. Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lil jilly

First of all, furries are AMAZING live!! only seen 'em twice as opposed to my uber fan sister who's seen them about ten times. GRR!

my favourites are mwng, radiator and fuzzy logic. while some of their other albums aren't AS good, i still think they are a most superb band and do not get enough praise or air play on the radio, seriously, one of the most under-rated bands around!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Mwng
    Radiator
    Guerrilla
    Fuzzy Logic
    Phantom Power
    Rings around the World
    Love Kraft

I'm surprised Mwng isn't even mentioned by most people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Rings Around The World - i love Run,Christian, Run
    MWNG - I love Ysbiulog
    Radiator - love Demons
    Fuzzy Logic - love Something For The Weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Fuzzy logic and radiator i think are the best, the new stuff i think is similar in parts to Griffs old band Ffa coffi pawb.

Advertisement