Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhythm

Options
  • 20-02-2006 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any tips on how to control swing speed and maintain a nice rhythm, e.g. Ernie Els or Vijay? If I could do that I'd be far more consistant.....I think and hope!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

relax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭DIEGO WORST

stringy wrote:
    Anyone have any tips on how to control swing speed and maintain a nice rhythm, e.g. Ernie Els or Vijay? If I could do that I'd be far more consistant.....I think and hope!!

I think it was Ernie Els, himself, who said that everybody has their own natural swing rhythm, be it fast or slow, and not everybody can swing as nicely as Ernie or Vijay e.g. Nick Price and Tom Watson.

Some people count in their minds 1, 2, 3 - I think 3 corresponds to the whoooossssh of the downswing.
    I've heard someone suggest saying "Serverino Ballesteros" in their minds - using Serverino to the top of the backswing and Ballesteros on the downswing. Don't know if he was being serious though.
    There's also the ideas some mind-doctors have on the importance of breathing, which helps with rhythm.

Personally, I just concentrate on the backswing, making sure it is wide and slow(ish).

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭okden

hum a note on the range, if somewhere in the swing your hummed note starts to sound like a tennis player grunt, this is the where you need to ..relax!
    sounds silly? sounds even more silly when some guy in the booth beside you is humming away.
    when the grunts are all gone and your swinging well you can then change the hum to words like vj's '1,..2' which he later changed to '13,..hit' so he could allow more time on the backswing (realy his '1' was drawn out, it was his '1' that got a little quick at times not his backswing), or a tune like sam sneads 'blue danube waltz' which he hummed all his life.
    depending on your swing-type youll end up with a 3 or 4 beat rhythm, so if els does what vj does hed be saying 'thir,teen,four,teen' and not 'thir,teen,hit'.
    counting, talking, or even better waltzing is just a way of keeping your best rhythm for the whole round or whole life.
    but you first have to find your rhythm before you should keep it, so first turn your grunts to a hum, ..then your hum to a 3 or 4 beat count.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I found if I tried to count or say anything I ended up swaying badly.
    The humming is the best option in my opinion, doesnt even have to be a tune...just start to hum a single note and take a swing, even in the back garden.
    You will be surprised at how difficult it is to hum the same note/key.

Advertisement