Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packet Sniffing

Options
  • 20-02-2006 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Hi there, just wondering are there any more packet sniffers out there other than ethereal ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

bedlam wrote:

Thats my mistake

Sorry, i should have added ... sniffers that people have used and that they know are reliable, they have good features and it is easy to obtain the information and that the programme illustrates the information of a capture in a user-friendly way.

Basically i am trying to avoid downloading every single packet sniffer and installing and testing it, obviously google will throw up as many as i want, but its not really a packet sniffer that i am after, its is more the information about users experiences with sniffers, if you get me !!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

...have used the Sniffer Portable and Etherpeek products a lot, excellent decodes and reporting, but there gonna cost you, especially the "sniffer portable" product line.

Sniffer Portable
    http://www.networkgeneral.com/Products_details.aspx?PrdId=20046243936754&CatId=1

Etherpeek
    http://www.wildpackets.com/products/etherpeek/overview

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

i use ethereal every day - and i can't fault it.
    there's even a version for linux/solaris - to save having to drag files back and forward.

also, you capture with just about any capture program (snoop/tcpdump) and load it directly.

very handy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

and ethereal is also free

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Sorry, i should have added ... sniffers that people have used and that they know are reliable, they have good features and it is easy to obtain the information and that the programme illustrates the information of a capture in a user-friendly way.

Reads as:
    Wanted: Idiot proof sniffer, that dumps information based on the click of a button (POP3, WWW, etc.)
    ..eh?

• Advertisement

Karoma wrote:
    Reads as:
    Wanted: Idiot proof sniffer, that dumps information based on the click of a button (POP3, WWW, etc.)
    ..eh?

Thats exactly it .... i am doing a project on security for small to medium businesses and its primarily toolkit, but i want them to do a security and information audit before they use the toolkit. Its to facilitate them adopting a good security policy with limited resources/budget .... i am trying to approach it so that there will be three tiers of difficulty for users, so as was said earlier ethereal is perfect and i dont have to go any further, i want to source what else is out there and if its easier to use, i'll suggest it.

bedlam wrote:
    Well don't use ethereal "live" then, it has been plagued with security issues and there are many exploits available (although currently none for the latest version).

As to other sniffers it really depends on what information you want to get back. You could go with something like Dsniff which would give you things like passwords, http traffic, smtp traffic. Snort (an IDS) which will alert you to any attacks on the network. TCPDump like ethereal will show you all traffic on a network.

Bedlam .... thanks a million. Thats a great help.
    If i need anything else or if i find anymore info, i'll bump this up again.

Cheers lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Can i recommend some of the bootable linux distros whax,auditor, the new fangled one at www.remote-exploit.com all come with sniffers plus good hardware support and lazy person support.

Advertisement