Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1 'The life of the buddha'

Options
  • 19-02-2006 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

RTE 1 'The life of the buddha'

It's on now if anyone is around to see it.

it's a docc about his life, didnt know it was on untill I found it just now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Well it was very good, only sorry more didn't see it...

peace

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Caught the last half hour :) cheers.

It was alright I thought. A bit short and sparce on details maybe.

I liked your mans cloud metaphor.. that it doesn't disappear, it becomes rain.

:) yes I also liked that bit.

It was Buddhism made simple yes but it was really for those who dont understand it I feel.

Just happy RTE aired it....changeing times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Goodshape wrote:
    I liked your mans cloud metaphor.. that it doesn't disappear, it becomes rain.
    Come on, COME ON. Tell me about it. I don't get RTE in Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I only caught a little bit of it. What I saw was really good...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Asiaprod wrote:
    Come on, COME ON. Tell me about it. I don't get RTE in Japan
    :p

There was a monk being interviewed and he used the metaphor of a cloud to explain the concept of immortality. That a cloud can seem to be gone from the sky, but this is only because it has become rain (or ice, or snow, or even vapor). What makes up the cloud can never be gotten rid of. In that sense it is compleatly illogical to assume that what makes up your life force can end so totally and finally when you 'die'. Nothing in nature works that way.
    god's toy wrote:
    I enjoyed it and am hoping it allowed some people to see the man behind the legends
    I actually thought it may have put the buddah on too much of a pedistol to be honest. I was watching it with my dad and I could see his interest weigining slightly when it spoke of the all important surmons which the Buddah gave.. while not looking too much at the meaning, or even the content of the surmons themselves.

Yea you got a point I suppose my friend, however that did not take away form how much I enjoyed it at all... but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Goodshape wrote:
    :p

There was a monk being interviewed and he used the metaphor of a cloud to explain the concept of immortality. That a cloud can seem to be gone from the sky, but this is only because it has become rain (or ice, or snow, or even vapor). What makes up the cloud can never be gotten rid of. In that sense it is compleatly illogical to assume that what makes up your life force can end so totally and finally when you 'die'. Nothing in nature works that way.

:p Cheeky,
    That was a cool metaphore. I agree 100%.

Advertisement