Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Toolkits / Handbooks

Options
  • 18-02-2006 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Lads, do any of you have examples of Security Toolkits / Handbooks for small to medium businesses?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

You mean automated tools for scanning computers & networks for vulnerabilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

You mean automated tools for scanning computers & networks for vulnerabilities?
    Heh. I can't decide if you're asking this with a matter-of-fact or a scornful tone of voice but I'm leaning towards scornful.:D

Anyway, Cork State, what are your objectives? Is this a topic that interests you or do you have specific objectives? (ie a network to secure).

Of course, any information you could get here can easily be looked up in Google (or you can get books from Amazon with much the same information). There are many many network tools for ethical and legal use that are essential parts of a Network Admin's toolbox. These tools can also be put to other not-so-nice use. Hence (I suspect) Average Joe's return question to you. It's kind of like someone asking "How do I make T.N.T.?". Yes, that's a bit of an extreme example but you get the idea. I wouldn't know if you were planning to blow up a building or use it to remove a tree-stump from your garden - but I would sure-as-hell be suspicious.

Anyway, clarify your objectives and you'll probably get a better response.

Regards,

Liam

Heh. I can't decide if you're asking this with a matter-of-fact or a scornful tone of voice but I'm leaning towards scornful.

I was just asking a simple question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I was just asking a simple question.

Note to self: Stop reading things between the lines that don't exist.

Apologetic regards,

Liam

:D
    haha, sorry man, i over reacted, i know you were jokin.
    but i was just wonderin what cork skate meant.

Cork Skate must be talking about "hacker toolboxes" like a collection of DDoS programs with instructions on how to take down the pentagon :)

i have some tools i keep on a USB stick that i use often.

Netcat
    Process Explorer
    Rootkit Revealer
    LordPE
    SDTRestore
    IDA Pro Freeware 4.3

thats about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Most of the tools from sysinternals.com also has my fav screensaver

always handy

X-Dsl if ur pen drive will fit it

for pen testing

any of the tools from www.remote-exploit.com or whax ........ (each unto its own)
    Uses nessus for auditing if u have the time to keep ur liburary of tests up to date(may be overkill)

Microsoft have some patch scanning thingy that scans for patch levels two cant think of the name anyone know.

im tripping over copies of knoppix that i use to troubleshoot every now and again and dont label

then again i may be off the point not sure (but thats normal)

can i get a better brief??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Again not sure what exactly you are looking for.

Here some guidelines steps for Securing Windows 2000 networks

Microsoft Security Tool Kit: Securing an Existing Windows 2000 System
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/tools/w2kexist.mspx

Again MS Security Tools
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/default.mspx

Also check out the SANS website they have alot of good info, some of which you may need to drill down throgh the site to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Right lads, sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

First i am not a hacker not do i want to be. I am doing a project on security. I am looking to put a handbook and toolkit together for small to medium businesses as i said.

I want to highlight that security has to be strength and depth, for every level of the OSI stack. I want to approach this so that it will be presented on three different levels, for someone of little or no technical ability, intermediate and advanced.

I am going to put a tool kit together so that they can access their vulnerabilities, so port scanners, password crackers, etc. so this will highlight the necessity to tighten up.

So thats where i'm coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

NSA security guides for lots of stuff from Office to Cisco. Includes security policy files for MS operating systems.

http://www.nsa.gov/snac/downloads_all.cfm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

• Advertisement
Advertisement