Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiya

Options
  • 18-02-2006 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey, all, I'm new and just thought I'd pop in and say hi :)

I'm American, but spent the year in Ireland last year (my fourth year of college - I was studying Equine Sciences at the University of Limerick) and absolutely LOVED it!

I'm currently back in the states finishing up my final year of undergrad (had an extra year because of a major change and the year abroad), but will be leaving for England in September. I'm going to Hartpury College, in Gloucester, to study for my MSc in Equine Science. I hope to go on for my PhD in Equine Genetics or Equine Reproduction at an English or Irish uni after that. My career goal is to teach at a uni or college once I'm done with schooling.

I would love to live in either the UK or Ireland (permanently) one day, but it just seems like it is so hard to get the opportunity to do that. So, basically, was just wanting to get to know some UK/Irish people (I already have quite a few friends in England, but knowing more people is always nice!) and maybe some pointers on how to go about immigrating at some point (after I'm fully finished with school)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The best thing is to have someone to help you get on your feet if moving to Ireland or the UK. It might take you a couple of weeks to get the legal stuff sorted out and whatnot. So if you had someone that would help you get sorted with a job or whatever before moving that would make things a heck of a lot easier. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mia's Mum

Thanks, I was thinking along those same lines. :) Which will be easier to do seeing as I will already have been in England for 2 years (or 5 years if I do my PhD as well). I do already have quite a few friends there, a couple of whom may help me look for/get situated in a job. It's just all so DAUNTING! All the legal stuff (I've never been good at that kind of stuff) and sorting out visas and all of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

ive been through the whole visa thing, but the other way around..moving from Ireland to the US. I hope its easier for you the other way. I dont think you will have a problem though with your qualifications. I lived in London for quite sometime and travelled there a lot back and forth from Ireland, most of my family and relations live there. Anyway enough of my life story, have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Hi Mia,

Once you have your PHD done there are plenty of oportunities to get a job in ireland.

Try the irish embassy in the states and see what your options are.
    My gf did that 2 years ago but it took her close to a year for her work permit to come through, mainly at the fault of the heath board here in ireland as they only met once a month to review the situation.

What are you studying if you dont mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mia's Mum

Ruu - I did A LOT of traveling between Ireland and England. And other European countries. It's amazing how easy travel is once you are over there, and cheap. Nothing like travelling from the US. Seems so far away from everything :rolleyes:

galwaydude: I'm studying Equine Sciences, and my PhD will be in either genetics or reproduction. Both England and Ireland are big in the horse industry, and I'd love to teach Equine Science at a university, do research involving genetics, or work at a stud farm. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement