Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ummm

Options
  • 18-02-2006 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I think I was made a member of the wrong forum. I have a vague recollection of signing up to something but it wasn't this one.

How am I so sure? Well it's because I firmly believe that snowboarders are boyracers on planks and I always enjoy watching those **** going arse over tit - preferably ending up in a tree.

Does that get me a ban? ;)

Can I get added to the Skiiing forum please? I think that's where the error is :D

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think this is suposed to be for skiing as well.

Its just that boarders are generally louder and like to show off so you'll notice them a bit more than skiers. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Snowboardsing is the best sport ever.
    Snowboarder for life. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Yeah the forum is for both because after all both go away to places with snow. I have to say the only people I hate on the slopes are the ones that either:

a) Run into you because they dont have control, or
    b) Skiiers (unless they are cute)*

* This might be a lie. Not the cute part obviously, but the bit about skiiers.

Its been my experience that the only people, be they skiiers or snowboarders who bitch about their counterparts, are the ones who are not hugely competent. Of course there are exceptions - see a) above - as I learned when a skiier railroaded me this year, almost taking my iPod nano with her. I was a stationary object at the time btw.

But the point is that once you are comfortable on either your ski's or board then everyone else on the mountain are just people you have to go around. Its no big deal.

Also I should point out that everyone has to start somewhere so if your just starting, do us all a favour and get good as quick as you can. Seriously you owe it to all the stationary objects out there that might just be minding their own business when you come hurtling through their personal space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Shad0r wrote:
    ....- as I learned when a skiier railroaded me this year, almost taking my iPod nano with her. I was a stationary object at the time btw.
    Being a stationary object does not neccessarily make you blameless though. I came hurtling over an edge of what was an insanely empty piste way back in January only to find a snowboarder sitting in the middle of the piste just where I couldn't see her (before I came over the edge) and more importantly where I couldn't stop before her.

I tried to stop but couldn't in the short space I had but I didn't hit her too hard, whereas thinking about it later I would have just about avoided her if I had of turned instead of braked.

Now when I say the piste was empty I mean she was the first human I'd seen since the middle station and I was only a few 100m from the bottom.

So let that be a lesson to snowboarders, if you fancy sitting on your arse in the middle of the piste please try and do it where people above you have a clear view of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Hmm, how on earth did I get added to this?

Imposter wrote:
    Being a stationary object does not neccessarily make you blameless though.

Fair comment I've seen it happen plenty of times myself. In my case however, I was standing up, at the side of the piste which was very even red. Mr Magoo would have seen me! The only mistake I made was facing downhill so my back was turned on the incoming....but sure accidents happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

Anyone who stops under a ledge on piste just needs there head examined. Stationary objects standing up getting hit is wrong. Our mate/snowboard instructor Kenny got wiped out by a skier when he was standing up putting something in his pocket at the side of the piste.

Luckily I'll be back in livigno next week so I'll be able make myself a nice target since i'm going to practice fakey all week. Good thing i've lots of pads for protect.

Hopefully the summer will go quickly. Pity i'll be hitting switzerland in the middle of the summer otherwise i'd try get some boarding in over there as well..

Advertisement