Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic 252

Options
  • 17-02-2006 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Just tuned in the LW 252 frequency for the 1st time in years. Does anyone know what actually happened to the station? ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Just tuned in the LW 252 frequency for the 1st time in years. Does anyone know what actually happened to the station? ;)

its radio 1 now... has been for years...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_252

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Callum Bevan

Tell you one thing, it was the best station from my youth, i'm kinda shocked that it closed down. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Atlantic 252 had a playlist of about 9 songs which were repeated to death, pretended to be British even though it was based in Meath, had DJs with the worst made up names in DJ history, and was music radio on a waveband only good for speech.

It was genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sandy Beach, Dusty Roads, Mike Flex er etc!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yeah, it was the one i always used to listen to too, ahh the good auld days!! haha, man the sound was terrible!!! But i liked it so i listened!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Callum Bevan

The sound was ok, until you turned the tv on. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

haha, its got a tribute site!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Think Rick O'Shea started there as well...

No Mike Hunt, alas....

He did, hence the shocking jokey name.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

It was a breeding ground for Irish radio presenters really. Some good, some.. well..

interesting trivia, the last show ever on Atlantic 252 was presented by Enda Caldwell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The station used to cause serious interfierence in the area of meath it was located. you could practicly hear it coming out of the toaster when you plugged it in.

It also took up about half the LW band and interfiered with every other station on it. and I would agree they only had about 8 songs on the playlist. and you would have to wait like three days before you would get a phone number that didnt begin with 0891 if you wanted to enter a competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Does this station still exist?

No the frequency is now home to RTE Radio 1, it had an interim period as a bargain basement level sports channel so bad I can't even remember its name - Talksport 252 or something, oh wait it was TeamTalk 252

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

mike65 wrote: »
    No the frequency is now home to RTE Radio 1, it had an interim period as a bargain basement level sports channel so bad I can't even remember its name - Talksport 252 or something, oh wait it was TeamTalk 252

Oddly enough RDS still shows ATLANTIC. Anyone know why it has not been changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

That's not RDS. These are factory programmed names on some LW sets.

I don't know if it's possible for a user to alter the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yeah, they only had 9-10 song on rotation, I can remember working in a printing company in '93-'94, and they insisted on playing Atlantic 252. I must have heard U2's 'Some Days Are Better Than Others' about 5 times a day...

The mast near Summerhill is a handy Nav Aid to use when flying near Weston now! :)

J.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Nostalgia. Or keeping the door open...................:)

Advertisement