Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OC lowering performance!!!

Options
  • 17-02-2006 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I've been trying to get a bit more juice out of my machine of late, yet overclocking it is actually lowering some benchmark scores.
    3d mark 05 goes from about 7,000 down to about 5,000 with a 10% overclock yet 3d mark 03 gets about a 10% increase in score. Having said that a 10% overclock gave a score of about 12,700 yet when i tried a 20% overclock with the cpu and about a 10% overclock with the graphics card 3d mark 03 went down to 12,400!!!

Can anyone suggest any reson why this might happen. I'm a complete novice when it comes to these sort of things and any help would be appreciated.
    System spec below

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz
    Asus A8N Sli Deluxe
    Gainward GeForce 7800GT 256MB
    1Gb Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2
    Seasonic 600W psu
    X-fi ExtremeMusic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

What do you mean by a 10% overclock ? Is that you manually upping the speeds by roughly 20% or using some program to raise speeds by a set 20% ?

If it's the second one then your problem is that auto overclocking software is crap...

Also you should run benchmarks a couple of times. There can be pretty big random variations in your score.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gaid1n

By 10% i mean changing the bus speed from 200Mhz to 220Mhz. For some reason my MB won't let me put the multiplier past 11x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yeah the multiplier is locked on all chips except for FX series. Your score might be dropping due to instability in your overclock. Did you turn down the HTT multiplier when you increased the bus ? Give the chipset more voltage maybe ? Give the processor more voltage ?

Try getting a program called Prime95 and running a torture test for a few hours with it. If you get any errors it means your system isn't stable.

Advertisement