Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox HDD Install using only a cd (already softmodded)

• 16-02-2006 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to replace the stock hard drive of a softmodded xbox with a larger one (80Gb for example) using a cd with the the linux.iso image I created from the contents a second softmodded xbox?
    (I successfully installed a larger HDD on this second xbox by booting from the linux.iso image cd, in a pc)

So.... in steps:

Xbox 2 - Softmodded and stock HDD has been replaced for 120Gb HDD

Here's briefly how I installed 120Gb HDD (after it was softmodded)....
    ...using xboxhdm 1.9

1. Copied eeprom.bin from xbox to eeprom folder in xboxhdm (via ftp to pc)
    2. Ftp'd xbox's C & E drives contents to empty C & E folders in xboxhdm
    3. Ran make-win-iso.bat
    4. Burned newly created 'Linux.iso' to cd
    5. Set HDD as Single master in pc
    6. Set pc to boot from cd in bios
    7. Booted pc, containing single master HDD, from Linux.iso cd
    8. Won't go thru it but ....followed the xboxhdm tutorial and then locked HDD
    9. Threw the HDD into the xbox
    10. Bob was my uncle! My xbox had 120Gb Hard drive.
    (all works fine on this)

Xbox 1 - Softmodded and has stock 8Gb HDD

QUESTION: Will it work if I use another hard drive and follow steps 5 through 8 and put this into xbox 1?

Any comments much appreciated but if the answer is no, can you explain why please?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

hannermam wrote:
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to replace the stock hard drive of a softmodded xbox with a larger one (80Gb for example) using a cd with the the linux.iso image I created from the contents a second softmodded xbox?
    (I successfully installed a larger HDD on this second xbox by booting from the linux.iso image cd, in a pc)

So.... in steps:

Xbox 2 - Softmodded and stock HDD has been replaced for 120Gb HDD

Here's briefly how I installed 120Gb HDD (after it was softmodded)....
    ...using xboxhdm 1.9

1. Copied eeprom.bin from xbox to eeprom folder in xboxhdm (via ftp to pc)
    2. Ftp'd xbox's C & E drives contents to empty C & E folders in xboxhdm
    3. Ran make-win-iso.bat
    4. Burned newly created 'Linux.iso' to cd
    5. Set HDD as Single master in pc
    6. Set pc to boot from cd in bios
    7. Booted pc, containing single master HDD, from Linux.iso cd
    8. Won't go thru it but ....followed the xboxhdm tutorial and then locked HDD
    9. Threw the HDD into the xbox
    10. Bob was my uncle! My xbox had 120Gb Hard drive.
    (all works fine on this)

Xbox 1 - Softmodded and has stock 8Gb HDD

QUESTION: Will it work if I use another hard drive and follow steps 5 through 8 and put this into xbox 1?

Any comments much appreciated but if the answer is no, can you explain why please?

Cheers.

Very close but the HD locking will not work* without the specific eeprom for that xbox. Just recreate the CD but use the eeprom backup from the xbox you want to mod.

Xboxhdm is excellent but it's a pity it cannot support a number of eeproms at once so you have to burn it everytime you want to do a different xbox.

Also, make sure you keep those eeprom backups safe as you will not be able to unlock the HD's without it if something goes wrong later on.

*actually it will lock, but the lock code will have been generated by a combination of the new HD serial number and the eeprom from the wrong xbox. When you put the HD in the xbox and switch it on the xbox will generate a code based on the new HD serial and its own eeprom which will be different and will not unlock the HD. If the HD does not unlock then the xbox wont boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hannermam

Good Schtuff....
    Thanks for that Silverlining.
    I had my suspicions about that alright but wasn't sure and was probably going to put my plan to the test tonight if I hadn't got any replies......just as well you lept in there.

I'll give your plan a go - sounds mighty promising.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Why keep your old xbox softmodded? Why not just flash the TSOP and be done with it?

Advertisement