Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

someone to fit spindle staircase and bannister...

Options
  • 16-02-2006 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone out there fit bannisters with upright spindles??? A lady has asked me to help her find somebody who might do this... she has a house with an existing staircase and she'd like the bannisters replaced... I left her a copy of the Richard Burbridge staircase brochure and she likes that type of stuff...

The staircase runs up one wall of the house and has a bannister right from bottom to top along left hand side, the bannister also runs along about six feet of landing above to prevent people walking off the edge... the existing lower pieces of wood supporting the bannister are painted white and she'd like a woodgrain so it seems this would have to be replaced, it's also not wide enough to contain a spindle... likewise the various posts would have to be changed... the existing carpet is nailed down and looks difficult to remove without damaging to me...

Anyway so I make custom cabinets, I don't do staircases (or fire surrounds), if anybodys interested gimme a shout... the house is in Bray just off the N11...

People should feel free to post approx prices of what this should cost... I wouldn't want to buy the stuff from Burbridge and install for €1,500 total... do bannisters cost more or less than this???

Cheers
    Joe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭sexy darren

i might be interested what timber dos she want to use and how many steps is in the staircase

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi

I suppose you'd be buying in the components? Standard pine I think....

I don't know how many steps, 20 maybe?

It's a standard staircase, you'd probably need 20 - 25 spindles, 2-3 heavier end spindles and lower and upper bannisters...

Cheers
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

heavier end spindles
    They're known as newel posts

Hi

I suppose you'd be buying in the components? Standard pine I think....

I don't know how many steps, 20 maybe?

It's a standard staircase, you'd probably need 20 - 25 spindles, 2-3 heavier end spindles and lower and upper bannisters...

Cheers
    Joe
    OK so u want me to supply and fit ill probably be better of going out and looking at the job and make sure she nos what she wants has she got brochures or will i bring some ill price it out there if that's OK €1,500 sounds a bit dear but ill have to look at it

pm me the directions and ill make my way down during the week

• Advertisement

Hi Darren

She'd like a staircase similar to the ones on the following link... but her bannisters are more simple...

http://www.richardburbidge.co.uk/main.asp?page=163

I left her a copy of their brochure and she liked the stuff...don't forget that these have to be varnished if they are not pre-varnished which I don't think they are and they won't be very cheap when it's all added up...

I'll be speaking with her again today or tomorrow so I'll let you know...
    Cheers
    Joe

so u want me to varnish them to not been smart but that will be extrais there a landing in the stairs or is it just floor to floor and are u sure the landing on the top is 6 foot ya you just tell her ya have some 1 to do it and ill go out this week some time

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

A standard stairs is going to take 26 bannisters at least on the straight flight, and probably another 20 along the six foot run. be sure you know what the regs are for hand rail heights along the stairs, and the correct heights for the landings. Also the correct spacing for bannisters along the landing.

Remember top and bottom newels may be different lengths, as are bannisters for the stairs and the landing. So do your measure up before ordering, everything, yes I said everything.

Dont be fooled into thinking fitting new newel posts is easy, its not. Its easy to do a crap refit. A good strong replacement requires more skill. Bottom post is probably the hardest of the lot.

But its all easy for me...er sorry:cool: :cool:

kadman trying to rob my work lol just messing ah ya no all the regs ill take out the bottom newel and remortis it proper job just hope thay don it right the first time

kadman trying to rob my work

It'd be like taking candy from a baby......:p

If you need any info....just ask

kadman

• Advertisement

couldet face up to a master caftsman like you not yet any way but i will give u a shout if it turns out to be harder than i think

Flattery will get you every where.;) .....so dont be stuck.

Good luck:)

kadman:)

I have sent a PM with the details...

went out to measure up today doesnt look like ill have a problem she doesnt even want the newls out I'm covering them

finished the job last night 900 euro good days work:)

fair play to you, I thought that'd be a hard job but you seem to have had no problems at all... and if you did the whole lot for €900 that's even better!

fair play to you, I thought that'd be a hard job but you seem to have had no problems at all... and if you did the whole lot for €900 that's even better!
    ya she was v happy it was a big job whit her wanting to keep the newls thay were off plum and twisted but we got around that so if any 1 Else needs jobs don give me a bell and if i hear of any 1 wanting u unit maid ill give u a bell

Advertisement