Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox Lamping with Baikal mp-153

Options
  • 16-02-2006 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

hi guys,

i'll try to make this as clear as possible but i'm very new to all this so please excuse any newbie errors :)

recently i put a despoit on a baikal mp-153 semi automatic with the intention of lamping foxes. my question is this, is it possible to mount a light underneath the barrel of this particular gun, and if so which is the best lamp/battery combination. obvious requirements would be battery life and ability to spot the fox in the first place!

we lost quite a number of lambs last year to "educated" foxes (for anyone who doesn't think a fox will take a lamb i'd be happy to explain how they learn that trick ;) ) so this year i'd like to have a pair of aces in the hole!

should have my paperwork from the cops in 4-6 weeks, won't have a problem with that. this is my first gun.

thanks for reading :D
    john

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Isnt't lamping illegal?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

only for protected game, not vermin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

it's legal in the republic as far as i know. anyone got any ideas on lighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

johngalway wrote:
    hi guys,

i'll try to make this as clear as possible but i'm very new to all this so please excuse any newbie errors :)

recently i put a despoit on a baikal mp-153 semi automatic with the intention of lamping foxes. my question is this, is it possible to mount a light underneath the barrel of this particular gun, and if so which is the best lamp/battery combination. obvious requirements would be battery life and ability to spot the fox in the first place!

we lost quite a number of lambs last year to "educated" foxes (for anyone who doesn't think a fox will take a lamb i'd be happy to explain how they learn that trick ;) ) so this year i'd like to have a pair of aces in the hole!

should have my paperwork from the cops in 4-6 weeks, won't have a problem with that. this is my first gun.

thanks for reading :D
    john

John,
    Have a look at this link below:
    http://www.lightforce.net.au/firearm.html

It has what you need, they are made in Australia but are stocked here too and any good firearms dealer around the country should have these lamps in stock. I have 2, they are very good.
    Hope this helps.
    Let us know how you get on.:)

• Advertisement

cheers keelan, thats exactly what i'd been looking for :D

it'll be a little while yet before i can go out armed, but i was out a few nights ago taking a look around and managed to find a few nice specimens! i'll keep ya up to speed when i start going out properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

johngalway wrote:
    cheers keelan, thats exactly what i'd been looking for :D

it'll be a little while yet before i can go out armed, but i was out a few nights ago taking a look around and managed to find a few nice specimens! i'll keep ya up to speed when i start going out properly.

I use the Lightforce striker mounted and the blitz from the jeep.. great lights.
    I use a twin battery pack on a belt 12v 18AH (http://www.deben.com/lightsandlamping/batteries.htm) when i'm walking..

Cant beat an electronic caller also..

thanks for the replies :D

im wondering keelan and terrier how much time on full power do ye get with those set ups? my friend has a diy set up using a battery from a golf trolley(i think he gets around 4-5 hours), his light is hand held though which wouldnt suit me on my own.

johngalway wrote:
    thanks for the replies :D

im wondering keelan and terrier how much time on full power do ye get with those set ups? my friend has a diy set up using a battery from a golf trolley(i think he gets around 4-5 hours), his light is hand held though which wouldnt suit me on my own.

I get around 3 to 4 hrs with my battery pack, which is a Deben 18amp hr.
    If im using it more on the night, then about 2 to 3 hrs.
    The best of luck with what ever you get.;)
    Here is my set uo below:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

johngalway wrote:
    it's legal in the republic as far as i know. anyone got any ideas on lighting?

no it is legal in the republic.

• Advertisement

Got my license in 14 days, including weekends, not bad for my first gun :D

Walked out of the shop the same day with my Semi. Had to wait a few days to get the shotgun attachment for the Lightforce 140 Lance, got a Deben 12v 14amp battery for it, it was worth it I reckon! I may try a different bulb in it yet to see if it lengthens the battery life. Thanks to Keelan & Terrier for the Lightforce suggestion!

Posted a pic of my first kill in the hunting pics section, and here is my set up below

image047.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Just a question.Do you not find that set up a bit barrel heavy??Would have thought hanging the light out that far would make it pull the barrel down?

Hi CG,

I'll move it back tomorrow and try it out that way, to be honest I hadn't noticed really as the light and bracket are very light weight themselves. Good point though thanks :)

John

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Just a question.Do you not find that set up a bit barrel heavy??Would have thought hanging the light out that far would make it pull the barrel down?

The heaviest part is always the battery, so it doesn't add as much weight as you would think (battery pack is on a shoulder strap).

johngalway wrote:

Walked out of the shop the same day with my Semi. Had to wait a few days to get the shotgun attachment for the Lightforce 140 Lance, got a Deben 12v 14amp battery for it, it was worth it I reckon! I may try a different bulb in it yet to see if it lengthens the battery life. Thanks to Keelan & Terrier for the Lightforce suggestion!

Posted a pic of my first kill in the hunting pics section, and here is my set up below

image047.jpg

Glad your happy with it John.:) Great set up. The light Force lamps are so light, you dont notice the weight like you said.;)
    Happy hunting, may you have success, which im sure you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Isn't lamping illegal?

Boy, there's going to be a rise in the rat population wherever you're doing this. Foxes are hell on rats and mice.

luckat wrote:
    Isn't lamping illegal?

Boy, there's going to be a rise in the rat population wherever you're doing this. Foxes are hell on rats and mice.

No lamping is not illegal.
    Foxes dont keep the rat and mouse population down:rolleyes: , they breed too fast for that.:cool:
    You must be a troll?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

johngalway wrote:

image047.jpg

How much did the Baikal cost you by the way I am interested in getting the same model as the Remi 870 I have is far to heavy

Woody, 599 euro for the shotgun, I was a lazy shopper and didn't shop around so I couldn't say if this was a good/bad price. PM me if you'd like the price of the lamp/battery etc. I don't know what they cost off the top of my head but I'm sure I'll be able to dig out the receipt.

Luckat, lamping vermin is perfectly legal in the Republic of Ireland, I can't speak for any other countries. Rats will still breed no matter whats done, they're here to stay.

Keelan, 2 things about the lamp, it does tend to catch a bit of wind but I'd guess most/all of them do that (thinking about it ClareGunners suggestion of moving it back would help with this, I must experiment). Also I find some light tends to reflect back at me, I think the outside cover may be on the thin side to keep the weight down. Nothing that a slight modification won't take care of. Both very minor things I must stress I'm delighted with the lamp!

Samson, very true. Even saying that the battery is very light I find. Makes walking around a lot easier compared to lugging a car battery in a backpack :D

ClareGunner, you're right, I moved the light back and compared it. It added slightly to the weight but personally its not a major concern. I mounted it that far forward to keep the light away from me and hopefully not give the fox any more info than he needs from reflections etc. As Samson said the light itself is surprisingly light in weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

johngalway wrote:
    Rats will still breed no matter whats done, they're here to stay.

i find killing them doesw a lot to stop it breading;) :p

• Advertisement

scout wrote:
    i find killing them doesw a lot to stop it breading;) :p

:D:D:D

Their ghosts will come back to haunt ya Scout just for that :p lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭17REM

johngalway how u gettin on with the foxes? get any? good lamp set up will be two or 3 months before the connections break!! have had 3 lightforce always go, tis a pain they are expensive enough.

Hi Rem,

I went out one night and saw one, couldn't work a shot on him as he got me between two marshes (didn't have a caller at the time, ended up thigh deep in a boghole fox 1 - 0 me lol). I'm just as pleased as since then I've been patterning and I've got some fox hole sized concerns. I'm going to investigate further and perhaps post about it again if I can't resolve the issue myself. No point in hitting the area and missing the fox.

Which connections do you mean Rem? Must check out the warrenty period, if it breaks under that time then I won't worry too much :)

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭17REM

where the wire joins the metal parts inside the cigar lighter plug maybe i just had poxy luck with mine! hit him with an eley alphamax bb he wont go anywhere! lovely pattern in mine anyway beretta teknys, get alot better patterns with 3/4 choke compared to full choke. good luck anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

17REM wrote: »
    where the wire joins the metal parts inside the cigar lighter plug maybe i just had poxy luck with mine! hit him with an eley alphamax bb he wont go anywhere! lovely pattern in mine anyway beretta teknys, get alot better patterns with 3/4 choke compared to full choke. good luck anyways

I hav a simular set up as urself! Bakial mp 153
    i also live in connemara! i also have a 223 wich accounts for alot mor than the shotgun! i have had problems with lightforce light (blitz) with over heating. where abouts in connemara do you shoot?

Advertisement