Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lectures

Options
  • 16-02-2006 2:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else just not bother going to the majority of their lectures anymore? I, like probably 80% of the college, decided to knuckle down in the second semester but I really cant be arsed to get out of bed before 12pm these days which means I end up missing about 75% of my lectures. I havent been to maths in god knows how long or any of my tutorials in months.

Im not really worried about it just yet, just wondering if anyone else is in the same lazy assed frame of mind as me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Who pays your fees etc may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Going to lectures and stuff does n't really bother me. I mean through college I've had between 15-20 lectures a week. Thats only on average 4 hours a day at most. So its not exactly the most gruelling schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Does anyone else just not bother going to the majority of their lectures anymore? I, like probably 80% of the college, decided to knuckle down in the second semester but I really cant be arsed to get out of bed before 12pm these days which means I end up missing about 75% of my lectures. I havent been to maths in god knows how long or any of my tutorials in months.

Im not really worried about it just yet, just wondering if anyone else is in the same lazy assed frame of mind as me.

Yeah, I know a couple of people that were, they failed the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Try your best to at least get to tutorials, dude!
    Some departments were sending out mass letters to people who missed more than 25% of their tutorials. Basically you may fail the year because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 timmyotoole

ye as soon as i hit 2nd year there in maynooth i couldnt be bottered getting out of bed, and i failed second year. That didnt change anything though in relation to me getting up, but its not a good idea. Its all about motivation, you need to get interested in your course again. The thing was i hated my course and still did it anyway which isnt a good idea either. I went into a handfull of lectures in fourth year. Got a pass out of my degree in the end. The only way you can get away with getting a good results from your exams, and not go to lectures is if your very intelligent and you get all the notes and study a lot. Otherwise go to your lectures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Go to your lectures and tutorials or you will fail. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

That's just ridiculous laziness. I hope you fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Try your best to at least get to tutorials, dude!
    Some departments were sending out mass letters to people who missed more than 25% of their tutorials. Basically you may fail the year because of it.
    Yeah I got one of them, so did almost everyone I've asked though! Also you don't fail if you miss your tutorials, they just don't give you extra tutorial sessions when the exams come up, or at least thats what I got from the letter they sent out. I dont think Im going to fail anyway. The course isn't really THAT hard. I paid all my fees by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

You can fail maths due to "extreme weakness".
    Basically, miss too many tutorials and don't hand in enough assignments and you fail.
    I'm in 3rd year maths science now and its bloody hard but i still go. and even though I've gone to nearly every lecture i still could not do the assignments...only catching up now.
    my advice: drop maths if ya can cause you obviously dont like it...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

I've missed one lecture so far this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

You can get by without going to lectures, but that's all you're doing. At the end of the day, you're wasting your time in the course.
    I've found out the hard way.

Last year in my 2nd semester, for 2 subjects I went to 1 lecture (the very 1st one)for each and just did the assignments. I passed one in the summer and got the other in the repeats.

It wasn't laziness, just an apathy for the course which I realised a bit late.

In reality, you can do ok by doing your assignments/tutorials/labs and not going to any lectures as long as you know what's going on.
    But what are you really getting from the course then?

I've completed my course and am working in a bank now, something totally different to my course. Enjoy it, earn decent money ( at least compared to other grads) and the bank pays for me to do courses in business / finance and gives me a bonus for passing each exam which ain't hard.

Think you should make up your mind, do you want to do the course and do reasonably well, or, do you want to do something else but are afraid to quit the course.

Or, are you just a waster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Im just a waster. I didnt make this thread looking for guidance or direction or something. I was just wondering if the people in my course who use boards are as lazy as the people I've talked to in person.

Advertisement