Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power supply compatability

Options
  • 15-02-2006 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Im just building/modding an old pc from parts i have lying around, i got a old compaq motherboard off someone and i have been trying to get it powered up, however the old power supply which i am trying to use is ancient, the connectors are kind of like the one in this picture bottom left (six pins)
    http://www.endpcnoise.com/e/images/items/dellconverter.jpg and theres a few of them. And the motherboard has the normal type like in that picture (20/24 pin) is there any possible way i could get a converter, or wiring diagram for this to work, i dont want to fork out for a new power supply.

Also i sort of half-tried to boot it up using another power supply but there doesnt seem to be any pin headers on the board for the switch, there is a connector underneath the power supply connection thats marked p100, but there doesnt seem to be anything else.

Sorry if this is very vague i will post pictures of the board and power supply when i get home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

those power connectors are auxilary power connectors (i think). Some psu's have them, they used to be on most psus a good few years ago. It maybe part of the AT power requirements (not atx), not too sue though, id say you may need an old psu to get this powered on

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Funkygreendogs

thanks for the reply gline,
    its the psu thats old, the motherboard it relativly new with the normal 20/24 pin connections.
    I actually have a damaged new power supply with the propper connections and everything, if there was some way i could combine the two it would be sound, i just cant seem to find any wiring diagrams or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

thanks for the reply gline,
    its the psu thats old, the motherboard it relativly new with the normal 20/24 pin connections.
    I actually have a damaged new power supply with the propper connections and everything, if there was some way i could combine the two it would be sound, i just cant seem to find any wiring diagrams or anything

u check ebay for adapters?

Advertisement