Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai in Lifford

Options
  • 14-02-2006 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

December 2005: Bookmakers robbed in Lifford

January 2006: 4 Almost completed timber frame houses burned in Lifford

January 2006: 2 Buildings (one belonging to Donegal Co. Council) burned in Lifford

January 2006: Attempted burning of an occupied house in Lifford. Owner was home at the time and was able to stop it.

January 2006: Young man badly beaten and stabbed in Lifford

February 2005: Fight in cinema carpark (unreported but witnessed by a friend of mine)

Every week, bus shelter vandalised.

Clearly the lack of Gardai in the town has not gone unnoticed by certain people. I have gone to the Garda Station on numerous occasions and there was nobody there. I also had to ring once and my call was transferred to Letterkenny. The guy on duty there didn't know the area I was talking about. Perhaps the powers that be should begin to look at what is happening and our proximity to the border. What do we have to do to get a proper service?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

Seems that there is an understaffing problem all over the country.

What annoys me though is why Irish people don't scream bloody murder (excuse the pun) over it? Make sure that you let your public representative know the consequences of not responding to the needs of the community.

If the country is so wealthy, why doesn't the government spend some of this newfound wealth on protecting its citizens? The libs on here (boards) will go to great pains to tell us that 'all is well' and that we are exaggerating the problem.

From my own personal experience, I have seen the vastly improved quality of life when law enforcement numbers were increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,942 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The Lifford situation is mirrored right around the county but the stations in places like Lifford, Castlefinn, Carrigans, Burnfoot, Muff etc should definitely have more gardai on duty to prevent and detect the spate of robberies that are now almost an everyday occurance.

The previous poster, boardy, is right in saying that we dont complain enough to our local politicians. Politicians at a higher level dictate the level of security in the county and it is appaling to see some of the local Councillors jumping on the bandwagon recently on the back of the arson attacks in Lifford just to get a bit of free publicity and a picture in the local papers..again!

They did naturally condemn it but at the end of the day how much do they care. Have any of them said that they would resign their position in protest at the lack of Gardai. After all it is their own party TD's and ministers who make the decisions on these issues depending of course on which party is in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

muffler wrote:
    The Lifford situation is mirrored right around the county but the stations in places like Lifford, Castlefinn, Carrigans, Burnfoot, Muff etc should definitely have more gardai on duty to prevent and detect the spate of robberies that are now almost an everyday occurance.

The previous poster, boardy, is right in saying that we dont complain enough to our local politicians. Politicians at a higher level dictate the level of security in the county and it is appaling to see some of the local Councillors jumping on the bandwagon recently on the back of the arson attacks in Lifford just to get a bit of free publicity and a picture in the local papers..again!

They did naturally condemn it but at the end of the day how much do they care. Have any of them said that they would resign their position in protest at the lack of Gardai. After all it is their own party TD's and ministers who make the decisions on these issues depending of course on which party is in power.

Public representatives resigning? Shock horror? Not for something as trivial as lack of Gardai:rolleyes: There has to be either money or sex involved for that to happen.:D

I agree about the jumping on the bandwagon bit however this has been brought up in the Dail only for McDowell to fob them off with the usual b***s**t. I think the powers that be should be informed of the volume of traffic that passes throught the roundabout in Lifford everyday with a pointer as to how easy it is to get over the border. For example if I was to run from the bookmakers that was robbed I would be over the border in 30 seconds (and I'm no athlete.........Edited addition by muffler: Spot on !!!). Maybe a more visible Gardai presence would make people think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

smashey wrote:
    For example if I was to run from the bookmakers that was robbed I would be over the border in 30 seconds

You'd get more action from the Strabane PSNI - maybe people should start ringing them.

You'd get more action from the Strabane PSNI - maybe people should start ringing them.

Well call me pedantic but if the crime is committed outside their jurisdiction that rules them out. You would get action there alright. Feckers stopped me one night recently for driving over the edge of one of those mini roundabouts (the painted ones). Got off with a warning. A few years ago that would have been a kicking.:D In Lifford you could dance naked in the roundabout and not have to worry about any Gardai seeing you.

• Advertisement

smashey wrote:
    For example if I was to run from the bookmakers that was robbed I would be over the border in 30 seconds (and I'm no athlete.........Edited addition by muffler: Spot on !!!). Maybe a more visible Gardai presence would make people think twice.

Muffler. I just noticed your sneaky edit. Abuse of power springs to mind. I'll be watching you boy.:p

[QUOTE=smashey In Lifford you could dance naked in the roundabout and not have to worry about any Gardai seeing you.[/QUOTE]

3 words spring to mind here...... Donegal Town....caught :D:D:D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hahah! On the Diamond perchance?

byte wrote:
    Hahah! On the Diamond perchance?

Hold my hands up here. December 31st 1991 approx. 2.30am. I was young and foolish.:o There was a full moon that night and unfortunately for me the Gardai were not amateur astronomers. However, I did get off so no silly criminal record here. It cost me £100 punts to the Donegal Hospice at the time. Cheaper to buy a belt.

Its what they call hanging your dirty linen out in public:D :D

• Advertisement

muffler wrote:
    Its what they call hanging your dirty linen out in public:D :D

Nah. I was going commando.:D

Bumpetty bump.

From Highland Radio today.

Local parish priest says Lifford is in the midst of a crime wave Apr 19, 12:37 pm
    The Parish Priest in Lifford says the local community is living in fear.

Fr. Edward Killpatrick was speaking at last evening public meeting held to discuss the rise in crime in the area.

Over 100 people, including representatives from the clergy and business communities, attended the meeting, which was called by local Sinn Fein Cllr. Tony McDaid.

Father Killpatrick says their must develop a closer relationship with the public to tackle the recent spate of crime.

I certainly hope that something positive occurs as a result of that meeting. A lot of towns in Donegal are experiencing the same anti-social and criminal activity and if Lifford can lead by example it would be most appropriate considering it's the capital of the County

muffler. wrote:
    jesus there are some scumbags in and around dongegal these days.

as for the boy racers - dont get me started

Listen w****r. Don't come on here trying to take the piss out of one of our mods. What the f**k has the link to that thread got to do with anything?

smashey wrote:
    Listen w****r. Don't come on here trying to take the piss out of one of our mods. What the f**k has the link to that thread got to do with anything?
    Thanks for spotting that smashey and for the support.

New name for a certain group of people here -mafia - cross them and this is what you get.

Cant even do anything about it in case they run to the child help line. After all they must be children to behave in this fashion

Advertisement