Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving advice to people you play with

Options
  • 14-02-2006 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

It has to be the most annoying thing to be on the end of if you don't want to hear it!! But my question is do you give to people who you play with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

only very basic, more like pointers, i.e. you overswung on the last one or you were aiming to the right any way, i'd never try and change anything on anyone, i'm not good enough to give that kind of advice plus, it's a well documented fact you don't change anything on the course or you're asking for trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

generally i dont unless someone asks for it. When playing with my Dad, and he struggles with Golf, I always am telling him what he's doing wrong because him playing frustrates me beyond belief, I wish he'd keep his head down!!!

I dont appreciate much higher handicap golfers (eg in the 20s) giving me advice (my h/cap 10 and dropping), I generally get told you're swinging too fast, however I dont get into a discussion about it, i.e I'm 6ft 4, young, very fit and athletic, so I've a large arch with plenty of speed coming down, so "I tend to swing fast ye ould fart".

Playing with lower or similar handicap golfers, I dont mind them saying you're alignment was a little off or whatever.

From experience though its always the higher handicappers that love giving out advice, anyone agree?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

css wrote:
    It has to be the most annoying thing to be on the end of if you don't want to hear it!! But my question is do you give to people who you play with?

yeah but the sport is so technical...thats what we love about it. can't help it in a way.

Whenever someone asks me "what your man like? Is he any good?"

I always say "well... he talks a good game!".

to a degree, my brother drives me mad, he plays off 9 and he's always trying to mess with your swing on course, so i told him "the pro said no advice".
    i only ever tell him if he overswung or if his aim as off, outside of the obvious i wouldn't open my mouth becuase i wouldn't be sure what he was trying, plus i don't like being bugged so i won't do it to someone else.
    i think it tends to be auld lads who give advice more often, my uncle can be bad for it too, he often insists i won't make the distance with the club i have, and then when i do he say " go away, look at that" and proceeds to start the debate all over again on the next f'in hole, despite me proving to him i can do it.
    he keeps dishing out the advice based on his circumstanes, being old, i know he's two shots better than me in handicap, but i've been outplaying him for years and i'm currently playing to about 5-6 shots better than my handicap but the club kindly won't cut me because if i'm not cured yet and if i have to go back on chemo i'll have to start my long slog back to being good all over again. mind you i get wrecked by the 12th so it's a slog now, but i don't hand any competition cards in as it wouldn't be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I wish he'd keep his head down!!!

Worst advice ever. Actually the head must follow the ball in order to complete the turn and relase the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

swingking wrote:
    Worst advice ever. Actually the head must follow the ball in order to complete the turn and relase the club.

Hang on there matey, a little exaggerated. the head is the centre of the swing, only after impact should the head follow, he's looking up before hitting the ball. Trus me if you played with him, you'd know what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

but i don't hand any competition cards in as it wouldn't be fair.
    Illness aside, not handing in cards when you are playing to 5 or 6 shots better than your handicap is being a bandit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

stringy wrote:
    Hang on there matey, a little exaggerated. the head is the centre of the swing, only after impact should the head follow, he's looking up before hitting the ball. Trus me if you played with him, you'd know what I mean
    Not quite. Have a look at Aneka Sorenstam, or Vijay Singh. Any over movement on any part of the body will cause the swing to come off the perfect centre. However there are other ways of compensating for this. I have seen people who religiously try and keep the head still on the swing and through impact. It's nearly impossible, and could quite possibly be the worst advice to any golfer, dependant on their swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 N1977

stringy wrote:

Telling someone to keep their head down can sometimes cause more problems that it tries to solve. Nick Faldo recommends that you keep your chin up (allowing your shoulder to pass under), your eyes on the ball and to watch for impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

stringy wrote:

Sorry, I thought you were talking about after the swing was completed. Apperently the thing you are talking about is a change in spine angle, which is the biggest cause of poor shots. I take what you say and can understand your position

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

I draw your attention to Rule 8-1

During a stipulated round, a player must not:
    (a) give advice to anyone in the competition playing on the course other than his partner, or
    (b) ask for advice from anyone other than his partner or either of their caddies.

Obviuosly this applies to competition golf only.

Slumped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Fair enough there slumped, i was on about general play though. For instance, i was out for 9 last year, and joined a chap i thought i knew.. He spent the entire 9 holes trying to tell me how to play golf.. now he was off 9, i was off 12, playing to about 10 at the time.. The lad uses a putter from 60 yards out from the green, and reckons this is the best thing ever.. not my game though. Anyhow it ended up being the most annoying 9 holes i ever played, and it was the one and only time i'll ever play with the eejit..

Personally i'll only give advice if asked for it, or maybe a suggestion if someone is playing utter rubbish! As for the family, well that's dangerous!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

We play a four ball each week and its amazing how bad golfers when they hit a few good shots become advisors. Ah you did this, your not doing that....all this from guys who play of 20 and struggle to get 30 points.

Personally I don't give advice as I'm not a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

I never give advise unless someone asks for it & it bugs me when people try to give me advise when I never asked for it.
    Latest example was an old guy who came up to me on the range, started telling me all the things I was doing wrong (none of which made any sense) & then proceeded to tell me that my swing is in bits (i play off scratch btw). Needless to say, I didn't take his advise on board!

GreeBo wrote:
    Illness aside, not handing in cards when you are playing to 5 or 6 shots better than your handicap is being a bandit.
    illness aside i would be handing in my cards, what it means is that by not handing in my cards i cannot win anything, and i've already been told that once i'm clear i'll be cut on observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

if you are completing cards, why not hand them in?
    Ok, there is the chance that you may get cut and then not be able to play for a while, but so what?
    As you are on your way down you would probably win a few comps and have the enjoyment of getting cut.
    Seems a shame to miss out on that *in case* of something that is essentially out of your hands....
    imo anyways.

i'm not handing my cards in becuase of the mix between the two situations, i don't wan tto get cut to a HC i may not be able to play off and i agreed already that i wouldn't enter my score in any competition i play as long as i am having my HC frozen, it's only fair. if i get over everything i willl be playing to my reduced HC and then handing in, but i wouldn't feel right taking advantage of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

When im playing with my brother and he hits a horrible shot he gets so mad but manages to constrain himself from freaking. I know the slightest thing is gonna tip him over the edge and I love to throw in a sneaky comment like "try moving closer to the ball" and he absolutely loses it:D classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

it must be brotherly love!! I usually spend the round winding up my brother... Nothing quite like sibling rivalry.. :D

Advertisement