Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers as terrorists.

Options
  • 14-02-2006 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Bloggers take on the recent Security test of the internet by homeland security.

http://www.mydd.com/story/2006/2/12/111151/597

What is intresting in this (and I didn't know) was there is a story linked off from it from about an Iraqi being detained without rights because they looked at Raed in the middle.

Another take on it is that US Army are sending news reports to bloggers in the hopes of getting them to blog thier material.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Hardly surprising. The Internet is becoming increasingly more important, not only as a source of information, but with the present move towards using it to carry everything from television to phone calls, it is becoming the very backbone of communication also.

That the US has noticed this importance is not new. It’s been on the US Neo-conservative agenda for a long time and even the Pentagon has developed a strategy for it. They’re not the only one’s to have noticed of course, as recent controversies with Chinese censorship of the Internet would demonstrate. I’m sure the EU has also taken this onboard and, no doubt, passed it onto a special project committee that will chew up several million Euro and not actually produce anything.

So, other than pointing out something that would surprise no one with an IQ over room temperature, what exactly is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Didn't Bush make a comment about having to take on "the enemy" in the media war during his state of the union address?

Looks fairly obvious that this is part of that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

So, other than pointing out something that would surprise no one with an IQ over room temperature, what exactly is your point?

The surprise is in what is defined as "terrorist". You are no longer defined a terrorist for writing a blog for example but instead reading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Hobbes wrote:
    The surprise is in what is defined as "terrorist". You are no longer defined a terrorist for writing a blog for example but instead reading it.
    That has got nothing to do with blogs or even the Internet, but with the increasingly paranoid and bizarre way that terrorists (or enemy combatants) are profiled, identified and then processed by the US.

Was that what you were getting at as it wasn’t clear from your initial post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I thought it was because they were finding that the internet is a key way in which terrorists plot and plan?

Can someone explain. Hobbes you are confusing me.

I love it - paranoid of the net but will sell US ports to the UAE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

but with the increasingly paranoid and bizarre way that terrorists (or enemy combatants) are profiled, identified and then processed by the US.

Indeed but some of this profiling is like something out of a Hollywood movie. I mean if you were a terrorist with more then two braincells to rub together your not going to post on a site like raedinthemiddle. TBH you would be better off posting in an western forum on some boring topic (like After Hours) and just post up say "Check out this dancing frog flash" which could be translated to "Attack on ....", or even just play an MMORPG. You wouldn't need to play it full time just have to log in at a set time, listen for someone saying something like "Looking to buy axe of whoppass +4" and check against a onetime pad. It would be static within a world of static.

Instead they appear to be more going for the look for the guy in the large top hat and long moustace.
    Was that what you were getting at as it wasn’t clear from your initial post?

Well I was posting it because its intresting read. Does everything to make a point? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Hobbes wrote:
    Instead they appear to be more going for the look for the guy in the large top hat and long moustace.

Or perhaps its a combination of Security "appearing" to be implemented (i.e. the appearance of Security) whilst serving other agendas.

jc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement