Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My LC project- advice/help needed

Options
  • 14-02-2006 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

I'm making an oak armchair for my LC construction studies and I need a bit of help, so I thought that I would ask the experts :D. I only have one question at the moment but I'm sure I will have more before I finish.

The problem is that the legs are ment to be solid oak 2-3/4" X 2-3/4" but when I was getting my wood I couldn't get it in that size so I got two seperate pieces of 2-3/4" X 1-3/8". The two planks need to be glued together(or bonded in some way) and I was wondering what are my options for doing this i.e type of glue to use, best method etc. The last thing I want is the legs splitting apart when the rails are tenoned into them. Do you think it is a bad idea trying to do this for the legs of the chair? Btw its white oak and the planks are slightly warped which doesn't help. Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

When jointing the pieces it may be a good idea to use biscuit joints between them, biscuits come in 3 different sizes I think 0 , 10 and 20 not too sure which type you will need. Basically the biscuits will help align the pieces and stop them moving apart. They are jointed by cutting a relevant size slot with a dedicated biscuit jointer or router with the appropriate cutter fitted. I don't know if you have access to this equipment in school so it may not be feasible. Dowel joints may also be used but I dont think they do as good a job.
    As for glues the strongest glue available for woodwork is Gorilla Glue leaves a good bit of residue to be cleaned off once it goes off because it expands so much. Make sure to cramp it up nice and square using biscuit joints will help you do this.
    As for the warped bit have the warped bit on toe outside and when you cramp it up it may pull together when you tighten the cramps.
    When setting it out look at the grain and match the pieces up so the grains from different pieces work well together.
    Make sure to take plenty of pictures at all stages of the work as you will need them for the brief which also carries a lot of marks but tends to be neglected by a lot of people.

Advertisement