Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba Laptop Repairs

Options
  • 14-02-2006 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any recommendations on where to go to get a Toshiba Satellite 5000 serviced? It needs a new DVD drive and a new battery, so where do I go and how much can I expect to pay for that?

I found these guys on the inet: http://www.bms.ie/toshiba_home.htm

So anyone know anywhere else? I'd like to get two or three prices

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd give a thumbs up for BMS anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

BMS repaired my Portege laptop - it needed a new screen - but it took a while for them to get to the bottom of the problem, and I had to make 3 or 4 trips to Walkinstown and back from Wicklow, which was a pain in the bútt.

On balance I would use them again - I have to get them to replace my keyboard when I can be bothered to go out to Walkinstown again.

The only other place that might help you is www.computersunlimited.ie

Or you could buy the battery and DVD drive from somewhere online like Dabs.com and just get BMS or whoever to fit them and do whatever a service involves...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I've decided to go with BMS on recommendations here plus the fact that they seem to be the main Toshiba laptop dealers in this country (there could be others but they hide their sites from Google fairly effectively).

I was given an estimate of 5 to 10 days for the replacement DVD drive to arrive - so hopefully by the end of next week. It's also pretty expensive as it's a 4 year old laptop.

It's a bit of a pain in the nuts because I can't use the laptop until I get the DVD/CD drive working again. I had to reinstall the OEM OS for various reasons, this was on 2 cds and the DVD drive sat down after installing the first cd leaving me with a half installed OS. All I get now is a DOS screen which says "insert system disc" :(

I have an external USB CD drive and I've tried to get the rest of the OS installed via that but it doesn't pick it up.

Advertisement