Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit cookin

Options
  • 13-02-2006 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

has anyone ever done it on an open fire and if you did how

on embers flame spit...

cookin time..

all to be done only using natural stuff ie no pan etc

thanx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Never done it over an open fire but it really can't be that hard. I would suggest letting the fire die down and only the embers are left, this is best for cooking.

As for times... Does anyone stick to times when cooking? Obviously there are parts going to be cooked faster than others, the hind legs are going to need more time. I would say maybe 45 mins, but that is a rough estimate. Like cooking anything you just have to use your best judgement I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

ok how do you protect the meat on embers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

What you are doing is broiling rather than cooking.IE sealing the meat by the heat of the embers,which is cooking it internally in it's own juices,if that makes sense.Picture a kebab meat roll,being rotated around the gas flame.Best way to do this is dig a fire pit.Get up a good bunch of embers and coals ,not flames.This is where your heat is.Spit the whole carcass on a green wood spit[burns harder]Place over the coals in the pit.Rotate the spit when you see the meat start to blister, or blackenyou want a good overall cook.It is pretty much done when you prick the meat and no juice comes out ,or cut down to the bone to see if it is done .There should be no pink or red color at the bone level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The only problem is wabbit has no fat to speak of and is likely to be bone dry if you cook it over coals.The best thing to do is wrap a good bit of fatty bacon round the carcass and hold it in place with cocktail sticks.This will baste the meat as well as giving it a nice flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I like eating wabbit but the caveman stuff you are describing doesn't sound very appetising to me.
    I would at leat bring a heavy cast iron pot and some carrots and **** and make a stew.
    A rabbit cooked whole on a fire sounds dry and tough, a pig done the same way would be deelish, the difference my friend is FAT.
    Cook the animal to its strength not its weaknesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

Advertisement