Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Laptops

Options
  • 13-02-2006 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a really small laptop with an internal CD or DVD drive? I'm talking screensize 12" or less, preferable 10" or there bouts...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Look at posts further down.. or search.
    http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054887819

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Toshiba Portege

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

jrey1981 wrote:
    Toshiba Portege

They don't usually have any other spindles than the HDD, CD &/or DVD drive is usually external for these.

Maybe different for latest generation, but certainly up to PIII 800, HDD only.

Medion makes quite small lappies with CD &/or DVD drives, or Fujitsu P-series, or consider an iBook - but generally ultraportables either rely on external drives or base stations with drives... As with all things lappie, 'tis always a matter of compromise ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

ambro25 wrote:
    but generally ultraportables either rely on external drives or base stations with drives

Sony T Series

I'm assuming that 'T series' is the grand-grand-grand child (:D) of the SR/Z-series? Anyhow, answer will depend on budget of OP ;)

• Advertisement

Sony = €€€€€ (but worth it imo!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

ambro25 wrote:
    They don't usually have any other spindles than the HDD, CD &/or DVD drive is usually external for these.

Maybe different for latest generation, but certainly up to PIII 800, HDD only.

Medion makes quite small lappies with CD &/or DVD drives, or Fujitsu P-series, or consider an iBook - but generally ultraportables either rely on external drives or base stations with drives... As with all things lappie, 'tis always a matter of compromise ;)

CD/DVD drive is internal on modern Porteges. For even smaller there is the TOshiba Libretto or there is a JVC compact laptop...cant remember the name if it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Alienware Sentia 12.1" widescreen lcd, pentium M powered.

http://www.octane.ie/cult/forum/showthread.php?t=3631

jrey1981 wrote:
    CD/DVD drive is internal on modern Porteges. For even smaller there is the TOshiba Libretto or there is a JVC compact laptop...cant remember the name if it.

I don't think even the L5 (latest Libby, only a few yeas old - way overpriced even on eBay) includes a CD/DVD ;) - great pieces of kit, though, however unpractical (had one for a short while).

10" places the guy/lass in the ultraportable category, definitely. You can argue and point to exceptions (eg T series SONY) all you want - if he's got €s to was...sorry, throw at the thing, or if the business is buying, all good - pick whatever.

But if all he's after is a portable DVD player with some extra functionality (eg. XP :D), I can think of a much better + cheaper way to go about it ;)

And if he's thinking of buying second-hand (eBay or elsewhere) there still aren't that many ultraportables in the -say- €300 to €600 bracket which include an internal CD or DVD (e.g. Porteges 3series and 7series, even 2000 series, Dell X or LS series, Sharp MM1100, Sony Z600 or SR-1 or better, etc.).

While we are on small laptops, Whats the best mini mouses for laptops, I would prefer a wired one as I dont want a usb dongle sticking out the side of the lappy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

While we are on small laptops, Whats the best mini mouses for laptops, I would prefer a wired one as I dont want a usb dongle sticking out the side of the lappy!
    If youre getting a wired USB mouse, in my opinion youre better off getting a full sized one than a laptop mini one, much more comfortable to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

these are cool, seen them at the laptop shop in stephens green, top floor

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/products/mobile/notebooks/lifebook_p.html

If youre getting a wired USB mouse, in my opinion youre better off getting a full sized one than a laptop mini one, much more comfortable to use.

From experience: mini trackball is better on the move, and touchscreen is even better (B-series Fujitsu Siemens) ;)

Advertisement