Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOLF: Harrington tipped for the green jacket

Options
  • 13-02-2006 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

JUST TO NOTE THAT THIS ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN BEFORE THE JOHNNY WALKER CLASSIC STARTED
    FRED COUPLES has singled out Pádraig Harrington as one of his favourites for the season's first Major at Augusta.

The American clinched his only Major title at the US Masters back in 1992 and he believes the Dubliner will be amongst the world's top players competing for the green jacket in April.

It's no surprise that Tiger Woods is Couples' hot favourite for the 2006 title, ahead of the likes of Vijay Singh, Ernie Els, Retief Goosen and Phil Mickelson.

"They all hit it over 300-yards and they all have better short games than probably anyone on the Tour," said Couples, who competes in the Johnnie Walker Classic which starts today.

"They are going to be the guys to beat, and there's no doubt about that because come Sunday, you're going to have at least two of them that will have a shot at winning Augusta."

But Couples also picked out three other players who had the game to win through in the season-starting Major. "First there's Adam Scott and then I'd say Stuart Applbey whilst there's Pádraig Harrington who greatly impresses me," said Couples.

"Pádraig is a player who in recent years always seems to be in the mix of a Major. He hits the ball a long way. He hits it high and he can draw it. He's got a very good short game and that's a distinct advantage at Augusta.

"Pádraig's definitely one of those guys who is not that far away from winning a Major.

"The only problem for these top players like Pádraig waiting to win a Major is the fact that it seems like Tiger is going to win one or two a year so that doesn't leave much room when there's only four a year.

"But Pádraig's got a total game and the fact he won twice on the PGA Tour last year will be a big plus. He would be my top player on that list of those best players not to have won a Major."

Couples is among a list of former champions contesting the tri-sanctioned Johnnie Walker Classic in Perth - having captured the 1995 event in Manilla, the same year he captured a second Johnnie World Championship in Jamaica.

The 46-year-old , ranked 30th in the world, has also not ruled out competing on the US team in this year's Ryder Cup at the K Club. "Oh, I'd like to be any Ryder Cup team," he said. "I'm not saying I can't make the team and I'm going to try hard this year."

Three Irish players are in Perth, Damien McGrane, Peter Lawrie and Gary Murphy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

About 7 years ago one of the mates gave another 20/1 on Padraig Harrington not winning a major in 10 years which he put 100 quid on. I can't see that bet being won. Personally can't see past the big guns: Woods, Els, Singh, Mickelson and the Goose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

woods will need to be areful in augusta his drives are wild these days, if you're looking for a dark horse keep an eye on mcginley, he's reallyupped his game the last two years and sai recently he'd love to win a major.
    i hop efreddie himself is playing though, should be in the rankings at the moment. he is one of my all time favourites, a really great golfer, and to be playing so well now with a major back problem, after surgery and everything, he's incredible. what are the odds on boom boom making the ryder cup. it's be one match where i'd cheer for USA, unless it was against podger, mcG or clarkey,man i can't wait tosee the three irish golfers kick ass, although woosnam wories me slightly i don't know what he thinks of McG who has been invalueable to europe the last two times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ill have some bets with Sergio, I always do, hes in with a shout, depends on his short game really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭celica140bhp

Let's hope Harrington doesn't become the "best golfer never to win a major". he is capable and won in the US last year which was a huge step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭Trampas

It depends if Caroline has used Floria Pro-active on his sandwiches which he will eat before he heads to Amen corner.

Advertisement